2012 GTX 260 4tec overhaul

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

rafalk0127

I bought a dirt cheap 2012 seadoo GTX. When I was buying it I was told it has a snapped timing chain. I figured it'll be easy fix, couple of bent valves, new chain, new guides, stretch bolts, head gasket, no biggie. I worked on cars with broken belts, i thought this will be the case
What was weird, was milky oil, how would water get into the oil. But I took the gamble, worse scenario, engine overhaul or new engine. When I got the motor out, valve cover off, chain was snapped, confirmed. What is weird when head came off, valves were not bent. I thought this was a collision engine. Rockers are fine, not broken. But, cylinders were full of water. So I did not get the full story. Anyhow, question is it possible that it was flooded, hydrolocked, then timing chain snapped? I can't seem to fathom, I don't have bent valves. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• PXL_20231024_090054242.jpg
    PXL_20231024_090054242.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 9
it was probably flooded, then it hydrolocked, and then it broke the chain when somebody tried to start it. Explains the valves not being bent.

Or the timing chain broke and then it was towed back in faster than idle and it filled the cylinders with water. It is an interference engine but have seen bent valves and no bent valves when they break which I think depends on the rpm when it breaks. The 09-12 timing chains were bad, seadoo had a recall on some of them which happened because they switched suppliers to most likely try to save money.

Back