3d exhaust melting issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

HANDSOME

I just bought this 05 3d with little hours on it and the original exhaust baffeling was melted and the previous owner had pulled it and a mouse nest out but had not put the ski back together. I eliminated all baffels and used pvc pipe in place and that lasted 5 minutes and melted where it clamps to the tune pipe. Is this because I used pvc pipe or is there no water cooling the exhaust ?

I would think that if PVC was better then BRP would have used it.
Go back to stock and find your "HOT" issue before running ski again
Apparently you can get a lot of different temperatures depending on how it was made.

Polyvinyl chloride, according to wikipedia, melts at 100-260C

The second reference puts it at 182C

third reference:
The effect of polymerization temperature on melting point is even more striking. The melting point changes from approximately 160 to above 300°C. on lowering the polymerization temperature from 125 to -80°C. X-ray diffraction studies show that polymers prepared at low temperature form crystals which have a substantial increase in perfection along the chain axis. It seems probable that this increase in crystalline perfection along the chain axis is responsible for the very marked increase in melting point.

The stock plastic is destroyed, I will try stainless pipe next. I just dont know if the water is cooling the exhaust.

FIND the problem first....do not run the ski

What you are doing is similar to putting in a bigger fuse because the smaller keeps popping.

FIND the problem first....do not run the ski

What you are doing is similar to putting in a bigger fuse because the smaller keeps popping.

THAT is why I am posting the question on here to find what the problem is.Others have deleted the baffles so looking for some insight on this.

you need to verify that there isn't any blockages in the cooling system, the most common issue if there are no blockages is that someone has installed a hose on backwards and the component is not getting any cooling, if you don't have a manual for it with a cooling schematic then you need one if you are trying to tackle this your self, the money paid for a manual will pay for it self may times over if you make a mistake!!

you need to verify that there isn't any blockages in the cooling system, the most common issue if there are no blockages is that someone has installed a hose on backwards and the component is not getting any cooling, if you don't have a manual for it with a cooling schematic then you need one if you are trying to tackle this your self, the money paid for a manual will pay for it self may times over if you make a mistake!!

Perfect thanx, just downloaded a manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back