2005 3d running very rich above idle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedec

What would cause 3d to run very rich above idle that cause a rich bog. Starts great and idles well. Above 1/4 throttle motor bogs and smokes a lot on trailer on water hose. Lots of blow back out of throttle bodies. Runs a little better with backfire screen taken out but lots of fuel blowing out with screen taken out. Plugs are wet when taken out. Timing has been checked and good at rotary valve. Good spark on both plugs. Compression 150psi both cylinders. New battery and regulator charging good. Tried different ecu and vcm runs the same. Original injector cleaned and tested good. Tried another set of used injectors out of running 3d and runs the same. Fuel pressure 57psi. New Throttle position sensor and reset. The problem is just to much fuel based on plugs and exhaust smoke. If 3d had a carb I would drop needle and put in smaller main jets. I posted last summer about same problem but still have not figured out problem. Had 3d at 2 dealer both can not figure out what is wrong. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Would investing in candoo pro diagnostic tool be worth it. Dealer with bud can not find any problems or not trying enough.

This is how much blow back coming out of throttle body with backfire screen out. Took like 30 seconds trying to rev out motor.

Attachments

• E4F0E2CB-7FC2-4588-94DD-6ED41352E159.jpeg
    E4F0E2CB-7FC2-4588-94DD-6ED41352E159.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 11
If you put your hand over inlet you will choke the motor out.on the trailer and at a idle the ignition switches cyl.how is it in the water does problem stop?

No get worse with prop under load in water and barely idles and load up even more. Sparks plugs are wet when I pull them after. I ordered a Candoo diagnostic tool yesterday as a last resort. Should have ordered it first but though I could figure it out.

The can doo is kinda useless on the rfi skis.did you pull the rave valves to get a good look at the cyl.remember the only thing going into the air intake is air the fuel is dumped into the boost port.can doo can reset the tps activate some stuff and read a code.it sounds to me that rotary valve is out of time.or rotary valve seal is pulling oil while running.

I checked rotary valve for timing and it was good. Also had head off and cylinder and everything looked good. The rotary valve was very clean and no sign of oil but a very good place to look. Is that rotary valve seal hard to change. I though or hoped the Candoo can change timing or injection some. What if my map/air sensor was not working correct could that screw up stuff? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Just some pics of rotary valve. Motor looks like it was just rebuild not that long ago. There is 180 hours on 3d from hours on ECU. I do not get any oil out of spark plugs when motor sit for long period. Or bottom of motor. When I was checking rotary valve I stuck a hose into bottom end to suck out any extra fuel or oil and there was very little. Not sure if that is a sign or not if anything is leaking or were all the extra fuel/oil is coming from.

Attachments

• tempImageZbDK9I.png
    tempImageZbDK9I.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • tempImageBW9Ade.png
    tempImageBW9Ade.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yes rotary you have to split the cases.can you spin the rotary valve shaft by hand.and double check the timing.yes the sensors can change a little but you seem to have alot of extra fuel.you sure the injectors are not stuck open or ecu shorted and keeping injectors open

Spitting case not good last resort. Yes I can and did spin rotary valve by hand to check timing. My original injectors I send to get cleaned and tested good. Ran the same after cleaning. Bought a used set of injectors from a running 3d and acted the same. It both plugs that are wet not just one. I changed out VCM and ECU ran exactly the same. When testing I can see injectors spraying like normal when cranking motor fuel rail not hooked up to motor. I can usually figure out stuff over time but this 3d is driving me nuts. Good thing I got 3d cheap. I have spent to much time and money on it to quit now. It was fun the 2 weekends it ran good for me before trouble started.

If you can spin the rotary valve by hand your not suppose to be able to because it is attached to the crankshaft by a brass gear.

I took the spark plugs out when I did it. Moved it very slowly had resistant. Just enough so I could get siphon hose in holes to check how much extra oil fuel was in bottom end after sitting a week.

Guess I should take apart and check again. So you are thinking gear is stripped. Weird if it was stripped how timing is good still when i checked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back