2nd trip out ?s

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thezamfamily

Took my 97 challenger out for the 2nd time, 1st trip had no issues guess i was too excited to notice. Anyways had a very hard time getting it started.(like it wasnt getting fuel) Topped of the gas tank Is there any type of ball to pump ? Im assuming the choke does this, newbie ? lol Also it seemed like the steering was very limited like it was catching something. when i did get it to turn all the way , it increased the throttle for some reason. This is at no wake speed. once i made to open water. It ran great and everything seemed to work itself out. Needless to say until that point it wasnt going well. ANY thoughts Thanks for any input.

No squeeze ball for fuel on these boats.
Choke is simpler.

But you may want to check the external fuel filter. Oh and see if it starts easier with the fuel selector valve set to Reserve instead of On. A change in starting points to a clogged valve.....and on top of that suggests a bit more work with respect to the grey fuel hoses.

Those original grey hoses are prone to clogging up the fuel system - in particular the internal filters to the carbs.

Need to check steering cables for kinks and if it is jamming on the throttle cables somewhere. And check steering nozzle for free movement.

97 Challenger...

I too have the same model Challenger........and love it!.....Its my baby. With 110 hp of Rotax engine and one of the few boats equipped with the VTS on the nozzle, you can't ask for a better boat........

Couple things. That increase in speed, it's called off throttle assisted steering ..........at some point, you'll probably see where it's necessary.

The short steering radius in the nozzle is normal for a jet boat. It's obvious your past experience is with outboards......big difference. You'll learn to drive without engaging the OTAS system. It really comes in handy for docking or maneuvering in tight places..

Principle of working:.....at idle (or up to speed for that matter), when your moving forward, as you come to a turn or need to keep your line, you'll begin to turn the nozzle. Well, if there is a head wind or you've turned the wheel, till the nozzle is almost to it's furthest travel, the OTAS is engaged to quickly apply power to the nozzle, which will give you a tighter turn on the spot.

When your at full throttle, let off the gas, well, as you probably well know by now, you have no steering. But, after letting off the gas, you still need to move to one side or the other, as your slowing, then when the wheel reaches that farthest travel, the throttle will speed the motor just enough to create pressure in the nozzle to make the turn.....

Your fuel issue may be in your accelerator pump. These models have them for low end running. Over time, the little brass nipples, going into the carbs, at about 2:00 o'clock, will build restriction, from sitting, gumming up....then, they need to be cleaned out.

One more thing before I close this really long post......your reverse will not work properly with the VTS pulled all the way back. If you haven't notice, backing from the dock with the VTS in the ski (all the way back) position, the nozzle is directed down and most is directed away from the reverse bucket. Use the reverese with the VTS handle pushed all the way forward.

Oh yeah, that throttlel assist is great when backing from a loading dock. I'm sure you have noticed, when backing, it steers backward from an outboard.:cheers:

Thanks for the info

Took it out again today! still had a hard time starting it. finally did some tubing , had no problem at all. ran great, shut it down threw anchor and took a break. 45 minutes later went to start it. Same thing just cranked like it had no fuel, 3/4 tank of gas in it still. acted like it wanted to start. Start to get worried i was going to drain the battery or ruin the starter. then it turned over and ran great again. LOL Going to look at the fuel filter this week any other suggestions, getting a bimini and hawkeye this week, hopefully get it back in the water next weekend. Thanks Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back