New GTX 230 - 2nd Time On Water it Died - Whats Wrong?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

CoffeeLove

OK, hopefully I can get some feedback on this one. Took our new 2023 GTX 230 with deck extension (added by daler) out for the 2nd time and it died in the middle of the lake, had to pay for a tow.

Had the battery tested and it's fine. I noticed it had a decent amount of water in the engine compartment, so removed the rear plugs to drain it all out. I would say it was about an inch of water, maybe. So I do not know if the "taking on water" was the problem, or what else it might be. Sure, I can take it in under warranty to the shop, but the problem is that the closest authorized CanAm repair facility is 4 hours from me, which was my number 1 concern in buying a Seadoo, especially knowing they do not have a great reputation for remaining problem-free.

Any "helpful" input would be appreciated. Anything I can test or do to the ski?

We are really bummed, and not sure what to do.

Last edited:
Disappointing indeed… Having an inch of water in the hull is a lot, much more than normal, but there isn’t really anything related to the water that would cause your ski to stall. If you give more detail and description, there might be some smart guys who can help point you in the right direction. How fast and what were the water conditions were you riding when it died? When it died, was it a sudden engine stop or slowly lost power? And sounds or warning indicators in the cluster? What happened when you tried to restart on the water - engine turns over or not? What happens now when you try to restart? Any other descriptions of what happened are needed to give you good direction.

Disappointing indeed… Having an inch of water in the hull is a lot, much more than normal, but there isn’t really anything related to the water that would cause your ski to stall. If you give more detail and description, there might be some smart guys who can help point you in the right direction. How fast and what were the water conditions were you riding when it died? When it died, was it a sudden engine stop or slowly lost power? And sounds or warning indicators in the cluster? What happened when you tried to restart on the water - engine turns over or not? What happens now when you try to restart? Any other descriptions of what happened are needed to give you good direction.
Hi, and thanks for responding. At the time when the ski stopped working, see below:

1) The ski died while I was doing a controlled/smooth 55mph, and it died abruptly/immediately.

2) There were NO indicators lights/warnings at the time of the ski shutting down. However, as I tried restarting the ski on the water the electric/battery light kept turning on and ringing. It would not start again while on the water, got towed at 5-10mph back to marina. I had the battery tested at O'Reilly Auto parts, and it's fine.

3) Once I got the ski home, it started after a few tries (turned it off within a couple seconds). Since it turned on at home, I decided to do a flush so it could run for a full minute (turning on the water after motor running). It ran/flushed for 40 seconds and then died again, it would not start the few times I tried after that.

2) Water/weather = On a lake with no wind and smooth waters, 75 degrees outside.

I also checked the 3 ground lines going to the front of the engine and they were all tight/secure to the engine block.

Is it possible for the spark plugs to foul-out on the 4 strokes? I used to ride Yamaha SUPERJETS back in the early 90's and this was a problem.

I was afraid to buy a Seadoo since there is no dealer within 4 hours of me, but really wanted the Linq system and large/buoyant ST3 hull, so this really a bummer.

Grateful for any ideas, thanks

Last edited:
I'm thinking an open loop cooling hose came off and is pumping water into the hull and also not cooling the exhaust system properly causing an overheat. Somewhat common for new skis to have hoses come off.

I'm thinking an open loop cooling hose came off and is pumping water into the hull and also not cooling the exhaust system properly causing an overheat. Somewhat common for new skis to have hoses come off.
Thanks for the response. Is this something I could locate and re-attach myself, maybe? I am somewhat handy.

Is it possible for the spark plugs to foul-out on the 4 strokes? I used to ride Yamaha SUPERJETS back in the early 90's and this was a problem.

100% yes, but usually doesn't become a problem until 50+ hours.

It's happened to me so many times, I carry a spare set with the tools to change them.

If you had excessive water in the hull after you got home, you more than likely had way more water entering the hull while riding, it's just the siphoning system was removing it while the engine was running/pump was pumping.

Even if you do get it running, I wouldn't run it until you figure out where that water is entering the hull.

100% yes, but usually doesn't become a problem until 50+ hours.

It's happened to me so many times, I carry a spare set with the tools to change them.

If you had excessive water in the hull after you got home, you more than likely had way more water entering the hull while riding, it's just the siphoning system was removing it while the engine was running/pump was pumping.

Even if you do get it running, I wouldn't run it until you figure out where that water is entering the hull.
I now wonder if the water just "seemed" excessive. It was about an inch at the very bottom, and I did not drain/open the rear plugs after the first time we used the ski, so that might account for the water after our 2nd time out.

Pulling the plugs would not be difficult, but if it is an unlikely problem with a new ski, maybe not worth the effort.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don’t think the water in the hull is a symptom of your stalling. If you were riding aggressive (where water is coming up on the nose of the ski like doing tight turns or tight figure 8’s) some water could get into the hull. And having a cooling hose in the hull come off the jet pump at the rear of the ski is possible (nearly sunk my 2007 GTI SE once) but maybe not very likely on a new ski. And it doesn’t seem like you had any overheat warnings or other warnings when it first stalled on the water.

I am more focused on what seems to be a starter that is working, cranking the engine over, but the ski won’t start. Your ski should obviously start and idle without having to give it any gas. You mention that your battery tested good, but was it tested for voltage of 12+ volts or for amp draw as well? Meaning is it able to still perform properly under load? I know you got it started at home to flush and died after a minute or so. You wont have fouled spark plugs with just a few hours on a 4 stroke ski - so not a likely cause. I am thinking you have a fuel pump issue or maybe a coil firing the plugs/ECU computer issue? I think you need to get your ski back to the dealer for an inspection. If the battery checks out for volts and amps, then there is something very involved happening. I would take it in and let the forum know what the dealer finds.

Side note…when you were flushing your ski at home with the water running into the exhaust and the engine stalled after a minute, I hope you were there to turn off the water immediately. Otherwise you likely have some water in the intake that will prevent starting. That story got my attention quick.

I don’t think the water in the hull is a symptom of your stalling. If you were riding aggressive (where water is coming up on the nose of the ski like doing tight turns or tight figure 8’s) some water could get into the hull. And having a cooling hose in the hull come off the jet pump at the rear of the ski is possible (nearly sunk my 2007 GTI SE once) but maybe not very likely on a new ski. And it doesn’t seem like you had any overheat warnings or other warnings when it first stalled on the water.

I am more focused on what seems to be a starter that is working, cranking the engine over, but the ski won’t start. Your ski should obviously start and idle without having to give it any gas. You mention that your battery tested good, but was it tested for voltage of 12+ volts or for amp draw as well? Meaning is it able to still perform properly under load? I know you got it started at home to flush and died after a minute or so. You wont have fouled spark plugs with just a few hours on a 4 stroke ski - so not a likely cause. I am thinking you have a fuel pump issue or maybe a coil firing the plugs/ECU computer issue? I think you need to get your ski back to the dealer for an inspection. If the battery checks out for volts and amps, then there is something very involved happening. I would take it in and let the forum know what the dealer finds.

Side note…when you were flushing your ski at home with the water running into the exhaust and the engine stalled after a minute, I hope you were there to turn off the water immediately. Otherwise you likely have some water in the intake that will prevent starting. That story got my attention quick.
Hi. Yes, regarding flushing, I ran to the water shut off valve within a couple seconds of the ski dieing, so hopefully OK on that front.

As far as the battery, it was tested OK at O''reilly auto parts, here are a couple pics of the reading, but not sure if that was under load, I assume not.

Definitely did "many" tight turns the first day out, but not with excessive throttle, tried to honor the "break in" period suggestions. So I guess it's possible the water came in from that, but not certain.

I will check for any loose hoses. Any other simple things to check?

Also, I already spoke with the dealer and plan to take it to them next week, but it is 5 hours each direction, so NOT looking forward to that drive. Sort of feel like I made a bad choice on buying this ski, especially knowing Seadoo does not have the best rep for reliability, and knowing the closest repair shop is several hours from me.

Thanks for the response

Attachments

• 20231111_134813.jpg
    20231111_134813.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231111_134808.jpg
    20231111_134808.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 8
I don't think plugs are the problem. They're cheap enough to swap out and see if that makes an improvement, though.

The only time I've had a ski die unexpectedly while riding was due to the 30 amp main relay popping out. That kills everything - no power to anything at all. So, that's not the issue here either.

I hate you are going thru this, I would invest in a CanDoo Pro if you are far distance from dealer, you can read at least 30 or 60 second of last run time, it could be a numerous of thing, Voltage spiking, oil pressure low from a crush oil filter, low fuel pressure, that can shut ski off then when you get it home it runs fine, water in hull could be from Carbon Seal, do you have a black chalk line on inside of walls of ski, CanDoo Pro will not effect your warranty, it just a Diagnostic computer tool to help with finding the problems, bring it to the lake to find problems.

I hate you are going thru this, I would invest in a CanDoo Pro if you are far distance from dealer, you can read at least 30 or 60 second of last run time, it could be a numerous of thing, Voltage spiking, oil pressure low from a crush oil filter, low fuel pressure, that can shut ski off then when you get it home it runs fine, water in hull could be from Carbon Seal, do you have a black chalk line on inside of walls of ski, CanDoo Pro will not effect your warranty, it just a Diagnostic computer tool to help with finding the problems, bring it to the lake to find problems.
Not paying $500 on a diagnostic tool, but appreciate your thought. It's going to the dealer under warranty next week.

Hey, you were the closest to being correct. I believe it is called the "rear exhaust boot" that came off, and since in the very back I could not see that it was detached. The crazy thing is that it was missing the 4" clamp entirely. I believe it happened when the Seadoo tech installed the rear deck extender, and when putting it all back together forgot to install the clamp on the exhaust boot. On a positive note, I'm glad there was no major problem.

Wow - glad it was just a cooling hose and not more serious. I think what had many confused, except skiasylum, was your ski stopped running. I wish my ski stopped running when my rusty cooling hose clamp broke at the jet pump and hose came off, filling my hull. Newer skis may shut down with an overheat. I got the exhaust temp overheat warning and a sinking feeling… literally. Ended up water ingested engine and I nearly went down with the ship on my 2007 GTI SE 155. But you can read that entertaining story in the forum from Feb/Mar 2021 - and I resurrected it after buying a replacement GTI 170, also bought a 2 place trailer, and have both now!

Enjoy getting back on the water ASAP…

Wow - glad it was just a cooling hose and not more serious. I think what had many confused, except skiasylum, was your ski stopped running. I wish my ski stopped running when my rusty cooling hose clamp broke at the jet pump and hose came off, filling my hull. Newer skis may shut down with an overheat. I got the exhaust temp overheat warning and a sinking feeling… literally. Ended up water ingested engine and I nearly went down with the ship on my 2007 GTI SE 155. But you can read that entertaining story in the forum from Feb/Mar 2021 - and I resurrected it after buying a replacement GTI 170, also bought a 2 place trailer, and have both now!

Enjoy getting back on the water ASAP…
The mechanic said all the "fumes" from the exhaust were dumping into the engine compartment, which stopped it from getting the needed air to run properly. You now have 2 Seadoo's, good for you:)

Back