2019 RXT-X 300 Excessive Oil Consumption

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Galonki

Hi everyone,

Have searched the net for answers but found nothing I can relate to, so turning to a proper Seadoo forum for expertise ☺️

Also most posts here on oil consumption relate to older skis.

I've owned my 2019 Seadoo RXT-X 300 since new bought beginning of last summer.

First summer put 10 hours on the clock, no issues noted - happy days.

End of season, 1st service at dealers and winterised.

This summer have put 5 hours on the clock and while out on the water got a single beep, followed by a Stop Engine message and one red blink of the oil light on the digital dash.

This happened while riding, immediately let go of accelerator and error would vanish, resume riding and intermittently the above re-occured several times - got it out of the water, in case something of concern, engine hot, ski level, check oil dipstick - bone dry.

Bought and added 1 litre of oil, check dipstick again - followed dealer suggested of running ski for 10 seconds to warm it, then 3 seconds at 4000rpm and then dipstick check after allowing to settle for 30 seconds- minute or so. - still bone dry.

Bought more oil, kept adding 0,5 litre at a time and repeating dipstick check.

After adding a total of 2,5 litres dipstick finally showed minimum.

Took it for a water test, 2 more hours no warning beeps or messages.

Get it out of the water, engine still hot, follow dipstick check procedure, - almost bone dry again barely visible on end of dipstick :(

Is it normal for these engine to consume what appears between 0,5-1 litre of oil on a single fuel tank?

Will repeat test soon on the water and be more scientific in calculating exactly how much oil its burning but it does appear significant..

Inside engine bay can't see any obvious leaks which i assume would be the case if it was a seal somewhere.

Sorry for the essay - just want to give the full picture.

Thanks for your ideas & suggestions

Assuming the dealer did a proper oil change definitely not normal. Take it to a dealer and let them figure it out. Hopefully still under warranty if not start a claim with BRP to have them fix it.

Yeah will take that route once I get a accurate calculation of just how much its consuming, just wondering if others out there with this model/engine have noticed oil consumption and/or possible reasons for it to be clued up when visiting the dealer...

Thanks!

Some oil consumption is normal, .5 liter per tank is quite a bit for sure. You should check the oil every time you ride or at least every tank of gas , one reason it could be using excessive oil is the V ring on the oil separator has gone bad but that is unusual, seal leak on the supercharger, valve seals gone bad. Did you look at the plugs? maybe there is a cylinder not firing and it's burning oil that way.

Yeah i think its excessive too..will report back after the next water test and what the dealer will say after that. Have looked inside the whole of the engine bay now and definitely cannot see any obvious leaks anywhere. It doesn't sound as its not running right would think i would notice if it was not running on all cylinders and has no drop in rpm or top speed. Stay tuned :)

Did you check the oil after the dealer did the service? Just wondering cause if you didn’t , which I understand, it may have been low then

I’m having the same problem with my new to me RXTX. Did you ever get this problem resolved? What was the cause of the excess oil consumption?

Same issue here, would be great if any of you guys sitting on the answer

I had this issue and it turned out to be a very serious problem with the engine.

This oil consumption is excessive so first find where its going. Look in your engine bay and see if there’s any oil in the bilge or on the sidewalls. If there is none, it is almost certain that you are burning this oil, which means that oil is leaking into the combustion chambers.

From what I learned oil can leak into the engine through either the supercharger, or the seals in engine block. Either way take it to a BRP dealer and see if they will warranty your ski, if not I recommend having it looked at to determine if it’s the supercharger or the seals, and then either rebuilding your engine seals or rebuilding your supercharger.

I ended up ignoring this problem and it got worse until it basically destroyed my engine. Took about 80 hours of riding and a year between the problem starting and having to replace the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back