2019 GTX230 or Wake Pro230, please give me guidance !

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu in Algarve

Hi , please forgive the lengthy first post.
My priority is; to have fun with my sons, (13 and 15) and maximise the joy of the next six years.

It was my plan to but a 6metre RIB with a 150HP motor, but our home there, like many in Portugal, has a step drive and a sharp turn into the garage. I don’t fancy manhandling it. Especially as I get older !

So, now we are looking to buy a ski, new in the UK, immediately transport it down to our house in Portugal.

We envisage doing lots of towing, possibly as we would have done with the RIB, (kneeboard with the smaller, younger lad, Wakeboard and three person sofa - Jobe Sea Esta !)

Sadly, the new (fantastic) colours of the 2020 models are not yet available.
So I’m looking at a 2019 SeaDoo model.

My question is; are the “towing profiles“ on the wake pro worthwhile? (Brochure blurb; Five preset acceleration profiles make it easy to deliver a smooth launch and maintain consistent pace.)

I’ve been offered good prices on a 2019 GTX 230 and alternatively, a 2019 Wake Pro 230.
The problem is, that to collect the Wake Pro 230 it’s a 450 mile round trip! (and the nearby GTX has the BT audio !)

What do you “experienced” guys think ?
Am I mad in expecting “family” beach fun with a Ski and not a RIB ?

Which Ski?
Do we need the acceleration profiles to enjoy towing ?

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated

Stuart

Last edited:
So I'm not sure about the towing profiles, but you can add all the other accessories to a regular GTX to make it a Wake Pro.

The towing profiles are nice because they give consistent acceleration every time, but not really worth a 450 mile round trip, IMO

For those curious ...I elected to go with the Blue and White GTX. ( Hope I don’t regret this the first time I pull my 13 year old up on a wakeboard ! )

A cousin of mine was towing his son on a wake board this summer with his Sea-Doo (I think 155 HP). I was wondering if my simple GTI 90 2018 could do the same and I pulled his 160 pounds son out of the water on his wake board in an instant. He didn't even notice the difference.

So I am extra certain that you will enjoy whatever you purchase!

Thanks for your answers/replies. we opted for the wake pro 230.
I’m still “running in “ (is it 5 hours? , we are unsure)
We are delighted with it . The performance and ride in rough seas is superb.

Attachments

• 4E459EF0-8EAA-4511-83E7-24F02AE6E205.jpeg
    4E459EF0-8EAA-4511-83E7-24F02AE6E205.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 5102DC2A-C5FF-4C83-954A-32227175C728.jpeg
    5102DC2A-C5FF-4C83-954A-32227175C728.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • 97B63433-2484-4575-B237-93DCC6A39CCF.jpeg
    97B63433-2484-4575-B237-93DCC6A39CCF.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 5EDDDAEE-E7C6-4624-A641-1A3BC540AB78.jpeg
    5EDDDAEE-E7C6-4624-A641-1A3BC540AB78.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
Lucky guy in November. Here we have snow on the ground!

For the first five hours, follow the instructions religiously and then until 10 hours just do not go full throttle all the time. Then you are good. I believe you should also change the oil after 10 hours.

I think there is one in Lisbon, but it’s 170 miles away from me!

To be honest, although the weather is lovely here, there are “drawbacks”. I don’t trust the “tradesmen” to do anything !

Arguably lazy, error prone imho ..... Best to get a proper manual and then undertake it yourself ! Plumbing, gardening, car maintenance, home automation, home security, it’s all the same story......anything except perhaps cooking! They can do that !

Oil change with oil filter and spark plug change isn’t difficult to do
Vacuum pump (portable ) around $50
Feeler gauges with anti seize grease for plugs
Plug spanner
General marine grease
XPS spray for coating engine and jet pump
Torx socket for oil filter change
Salt away to flush engine and any salt in bilge (should have there in marine shops

For a few bucks, you can add the ski and x module (plug and play) which gives you the ski mode and other features like avg/max mph/kph, code reader, launch mode and 50% more vts range. I tried mine for the first time today and it's pretty cool. My ski was launching out of the water from stand still which I didn't expect. Ski mode ramps the speed up to 9mph which is all adjustable so you don't yank the rider off on taking off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back