2009 GTX Wake 215 salt water maintenance

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DodgerZA

Hi guys

I've been searching through the forums but I'm struggling to get a solid plan in place for taking my GTX offshore in the salt water, it is supercharged and intercooled, please could you help me:

1) What prep do I need to do before I take the PWC out in salt water, if any?

2) After running it in salt water, granted I don't flip the PWC, do I simply just use the flush kit and run the engine? As I understand, because it is intercooled all I'm really doing is flushing the exhaust..?

3) Anything else I should do? Like spray fogging oil in the air intake or something??

I live inland and my dealer really doesn't know enough, I hope you guys can help and I appreciate the help!

Rodger.

The most important thing you want to do is to coat every surface of your engine compartment with ant-corrosive spray... I use the Bombardier XPS spray... Spray every nook and cranny of everything inside the engine compartment..

The next steps are dependent upon how hard you ride.. I have 160 hours on my ski, the majority of them in salt water.. When I'm jumping waves and spraying salt water everywhere when I get back home I let the ski cool down, take both seats off and with my garden hose spray down the entire engine compartment.. When salt water gets inside the compartment as it does when you are running your ski hard through the waves and surf, etc. it sloshes around in there and will get everywhere... You need to spray the ski down very good.. I do a very thorough rinse... the engine and components are very water tight.. I take my garden hose nozzle and blast away at every surface.... I then prop the trailer up and let it drain.... I then do an engine flush using salt eliminator... I run it for 2 minutes tops...

I garage it and keep the seats off and let it dry out.. the next day I spray the engine compartment down with the XPS spray..

On calmer days when I'm fishng and took it easy, etc. and I know I did not spray any salt water into the engine compart I don't spray down the engine compartment with fresh water... I just do the engine flush and XPS spray down...

I also have coated my battery terminals with marine wheel bearing grease...

My ski looks brand new inside and out and has been a salt water ski for going on 8 years (2004 GTX SC). Mitigate any salt staying in contact with engine surfaces for any length of time and these ski's do just fine in salt or fresh..

Thanks GTX185! That's awesome feedback and I'm glad to hear your pwc is still running so well after all the hours in salt water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back