2008 Sea Doo Utopia Jet Pump issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

joelamoureux

I have a new (left over) 2008 Utopia 205 SE. After taking my boat out of the water yesterday, I found a small length of rope ingested in one of my pumps. After removing the rope it appeared that there was some type of black rubber bushing damaged. This bushing appears to be installed around the shaft adjacent to the inlet side of the impeller. I found an online drawing and I believe this part is called an impeller boot. Any experience in running with this boot damaged? I do want to fix it, but the timing of a party coming up is not good. Also any idea on the approximate cost to pull a pump to replace this boot? Or if it's not an impeller boot, what is it?

Thanks

You sure it is the driveshaft boot? I am not sure about the newer ones but the old were blue and plastic. If it is just the driveshaft boot, no big deal. I would just leave it alone till you have some free time to pull the pump, or wait till you know it needs a wear ring. It was a good idea from the factory, to protect the shaft, but they break easy. Most guys leave em off when they pull the impeller next time. It wont effect performance.

Thanks for replying.

I believe it is a black rubber ring based on what I can see of the other pump on my boat. I went to BRP's parts web page, found the 2 parts drawings for the pump and propoulsion system. Part 20 (P/N 267000085) on the pump drawing was called an impeller boot assembly. Looks like it is a slip fit over the shaft and held in place with loctite. I am calling the dealer tomorrow. Will post more info when I know more.

As you say, I think it is something I can live without for the short term. The only negative I think would be is that it is about the same diameter as the shaft guard that the shaft goes through before it connects to the pump. It almost touches the shaft guard and looks like it seats against the face of the impleller. I wonder if the part helps the turbulent water go into the pump more efficiently. A little cavitation is the only down side I could think of.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back