2008 GTi SE 155 Buying Advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LargeJohn

Searching for dependable ski to cruise around the lake and maybe tow an occasional tube. Limiting search to 4 stroke, naturally aspirated engines. I'm focusing on Sea Doo 2 or 3-seaters for stability, and because I am not a small person.​
Found a 2008 GTi SE 155. 102 hours on the meter. Engine looks clean, and I tested compression 128, 120, 125 (cold engine with a Harbor Freight gauge). Hull looks good (couple of minor scuffs). Engine starts easily.​
Two concerns:​
1. Engine accelerates fine to about 30 mph (~5000 rpm) and holds. This problem appears intermittently, but often. I suspect a defect in the fuel system (filter, injector, pump...)​
2. The ski has been parked on a trailer since winter with the trailer tipped backward. It appears that some of the oil spilled and ran into the bilge. No leaks were observed elsewhere.​
The ski and trailer are being offered for about $2K less than NADA value.​
I am pretty mechanically inclined. Have worked on cars and small engines, but no Sea Doo experience.​
Questions:​
Anything else that I should consider about the acceleration problem?​
Any concerns with the ski being parked "nose up"?​
Does this seem like a good deal? TGTBT?​

Last edited:
The first thing you want to do is change the spark plugs. These machines need good plugs and I have found that most driveability issues are easily resolved with fresh plugs and this ski is a reliable machine, in general. I hope that plugs would correct your acceleration concern - I always start with plugs and have never needed to go further with my 2007 SE 155. Sometimes the plugs are fine on start, but fail under heavy load and acceleration. If it doesn’t correct it, you will need to go further into the ignition and fuel system, as you suggest.

As for the oil in the hull, I don’t have an explanation for that, so it makes me nervous. I don’t see how or why being parked nose up would cause or create an oil leak. I would clean it all up, wash it all out, if possible, and obviously make sure you have the correct level. If you don’t know when the oil was changed, change it, and start fresh. Then just ride and watch your oil level and check for leaks. The engine has a small oil pan and you can see the filter assembly is separate and there is a separate oil container - like a dry sump system. So there are some places for leaks to occur, but they aren’t tragic. I suppose the worst thing could be a rear main seal leak and the engine would have to come out, but I have not heard of that as a concern with these machines. I would ride 15 or 30 minutes and check for leaks and check oil level the first couple of hours to be safe.

As for a good deal, jet skis in general sell well below NADA, so that is typical. Your best gauge is just comparing to others for sale in your area. This ski in Florida is a $3500 ski, assuming the oil issue is not a factor. I would would be wanting some cushion, just in case I have to repair a leak and be more comfortable in the $3000 range or less in my area.

Best wishes to you. In my opinion, the simple SE 155 machines 2007-2010 are the best and most reliable of them all for all-round family fun and ease of repair and maintenance.

Last edited:
The first thing you want to do is change the spark plugs. These machines need good plugs and I have found that most driveability issues are easily resolved with fresh plugs and this ski is a reliable machine, in general. I hope that plugs would correct your acceleration concern - I always start with plugs and have never needed to go further with my 2007 SE 155. Sometimes the plugs are fine on start, but fail under heavy load and acceleration. If it doesn’t correct it, you will need to go further into the ignition and fuel system, as you suggest.

As for the oil in the hull, I don’t have an explanation for that, so it makes me nervous. I don’t see how or why being parked nose up would cause or create an oil leak. I would clean it all up, wash it all out, if possible, and obviously make sure you have the correct level. If you don’t know when the oil was changed, change it, and start fresh. Then just ride and watch your oil level and check for leaks. The engine has a small oil pan and you can see the filter assembly is separate and there is a separate oil container - like a dry sump system. So there are some places for leaks to occur, but they aren’t tragic. I suppose the worst thing could be a rear main seal leak and the engine would have to come out, but I have not heard of that as a concern with these machines. I would ride 15 or 30 minutes and check for leaks and check oil level the first couple of hours to be safe.

As for a good deal, jet skis in general sell well below NADA, so that is typical. Your best gauge is just comparing to others for sale in your area. This ski in Florida is a $3500 ski, assuming the oil issue is not a factor. I would would be wanting some cushion, just in case I have to repair a leak and be more comfortable in the $3000 range or less in my area.

Best wishes to you. In my opinion, the simple SE 155 machines 2007-2010 are the best and most reliable of them all for all-round family fun and ease of repair and maintenance.

Whats the top speed on that year 155? I would think about getting a comfy ski but want something with good speed but also naturally aspirated

Oh yea - another good thing with this generation of skis. My 2007 GTI SE 155 outruns my buddies with newer machines. Plenty of power to pull anything and anyone - I have towed a 20 foot ski boat to shore with my ski (probably not recommended). I am 6 feet and 220 pounds and can go 58 MPH on smooth water. My kids at 140 lbs hit 60 MPH regularly on smooth water. I would think the 2008 would be the same MPH. If you can get comfortable with the oil in the hull on this machine and figure out why it was there, you will likely be a happy camper with this 2008 ski.

Whats the top speed on that year 155? I would think about getting a comfy ski but want something with good speed but also naturally aspirated

I've read 50-60, which is plenty for me.

I'm going to make an offer today. Going to try to buy it for around $2K

sounds like a good deal, they are all around 5k around me... not worth it for a 10 year old ski if you ask me. $2k I would grab one for sure

Got it done at $2.2k ski and single trailer. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

Already bought the new NGK plugs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back