Drain plugs not working

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

kastevenson

After my last lake trip, I went to drain the small amount of water in the hull of my 2012 GTI SE and no water would come out of either drain plug...Even after I backed the trailer down a steep section of my yard. I don't have the service manual and didnt bother to investigate other than sticking a poker into the ports to dislodge debris but it appears the drain plug ports are connected to rubber hoses and not open to the inside of the hull like I assumed..

Perhaps after the 6+ years of me owning this ski that I never knew how these drains functioned as I've always had to use an absorbent towel or shop vac to get the small amount of water in the bottom of the hull out.

This also opens up the question as to how much water is normal to be found in the hull after a day on the lake? For me, its around 1 quart or about an inch of water in the lower rear of the hull under the engine.

Thoughts?

About 8" in from the rear of the drain opening, you will see a black odd shaped housing connected to that tube. There is a check ball in the housing and small holes on the bottom side. Uncscrew the housing and remove the ball and clean everything out. They clog easily and then don't function at all.

Got them off and there was nothing blocking them. Shot some air from the rubber hose on the inside to the outside.

What is the purpose of the entire assembly including the smaller tubes that loop up by the coolant tank and back down to another connection point on the hull above the drive shaft outlet? I get that the check valve is probably designed to keep water from flooding in if the plugs are left open.

The upper tubes create suction from the nozzle in the jet pump and will suck out water that sits in the bottom of the hull while driving.

You need to unscrew the assembly to clean it properly.

My experience is that the amount of water in the hull after a day on the water, depends on how aggressive I was riding. If the nose of my Seadoo was often submerged in doing tight turns or hitting waves, I will often have a little more water in the hull. But no more than just a little water comes out when I always open my drains on the angled boat ramp - maybe a cup of water between both drains. The auto bailers should be doing their job too, meaning you shouldn’t have measurable water in the hull.

I do notice that, disconnecting my trailer at home and tipping my trailer up and letting as much water come out as possible, that there is always a cup or so of water that I can never get out, and I will put a towel in the bottom of the hull on my 2007 GTI to soak it up. I I can’t get to the bottom of the hull on my 2021 GTI, so I never have done my towel trick, which concerns me, but I don’t know what else to do.

Back