2008 dodge ram

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rford09

Just wondering about the experiences that anymof you have had withndodge ram pickups. I am looking at a 08 ram quad cab, big horn edition. I have never owned a dodge so any input would be nice. Thanks

I love my Dodge.......:D.....that specific year (2008) had the best in class for power. That vehicle comes with the legendary 5.7-liter Hemi engine featuring a first-ever on a truck cylinder-deactivation system. This system transitions from using eight cylinders to four quicker than the blink of an eye. You don't feel any difference - until you drive past the next gas station. The system can save up to 20 percent in fuel economy. Unless you are on it all the time. I like to dirve it hard!

The mighty Hemi generates best-in-class 345 horsepower and 375 pound-feet of torque. Mated to a multispeed overdrive automatic transmission, the Hemi's mileage estimates are 13 miles per gallon in the city and 19 on the highway. When towing my boat or other toys.....you forget anything is behind you! For a gas powered vehicle, it is more than a nice truck.

I am sure the good Dr. Honda will chime in........:bigear:

Dodge seems to build a good truck. I'm not a brand loyal kind of guy... but I've owned 2 dodge trucks.

My last truck was a 2001 2500 Cummins. It was great. I had 265K miles on it when I sold it. It felt like driving an old school bus, but the 700 Lb/ft of torque would put an instant grin on my face. Also, the smoke screen feature was nice for when you needed to get back at some d1ck head in traffic. The truck had a bunch of stuff wear out over the years... but it's expected with the miles, and it's weight.

My new truck is a 2010 1500 gas. Now that it's broken in... it's not too bad. The 400 HP Hemi gets up, and goes when you stick your foot in to it... but it doesn't have the gut wrenching torque of the diesel.

As above... I think the '08 Hemi only put out 345 hp.

I think the Big Horn is a Laramie without the leather. My 2001 was a SLT Laramie, and my new truck is the TRX. The TRX gets all the chrome stripped off, but gets the 2-tone paint of the Laramie.

OLD Behind the boat.

193.jpg

New No chrome. It has the painted grill, and bumpers.

193.jpg

Well i bought the truck and drove it home last night. So far i am really excited and am very happy with the truck.
Cant wait to get the skis out and see how she tows them.

My only question on the truck is, does anyone know if the truck has a cabin filter. The previous owner was a smoker and every time i turn on the heat, the smell is driving me nuts.

Thanks

Rob

Well I happen to work for Dodge..LOL. If you want to PM me your vin# I can look up any recalls or anything. Also I look in the Dealer connect program and I dont see it equipped with a cabin filter. :cheers:

There is one out there it is from Cab Fresh and they mount externally in the cabin intake cowl area up under the hood,,,you can contact them via e-mail to find a retailer, and they sell direct to the public.

I believe the Model # DR-09, Part # 19009P, will fit your 08 RAM.

Cost is $$59.95 for the complete.
After the filter material fills up with dirt, you will
Need a replacement element at $17.95.
UPS ground shipping is $7.00

I found some info about this mod on another forum, So it isn't mine... but I just checked my 2010 truck, and this spot is in the air box !!!! I spend $37k on a truck, and they leave a stupid filter out !!!! GAY. I'll be doing this mod as soon as I can get the little door.

TOOLS NEEDED:

(1) Sharp boxcutter or X-acto

PARTS NEEDED:

(1) Filter box 'lid'. Dodge part number 68052292AA (About $11)
(1) Cabin Air Filter. Dodge part number 5058693AA, OR, Purolater C25869 ($7), Hastings HAAF1328, or Wix 24578

(These parts are all "OEM" for a 2010 Dodge Avenger, Caliber, Compass, etc. They will not be found by searching in any parts book under 'Dodge Ram'!)

Step 1. Remove lower glove box by gently pulling inward on both sides where the 'ears' are.

Step 2. Locate the filter slot area, which is shaped like a short, fat "T". Using the sharp tool of your choice, cut out the area just inside of the "T". You do not need to cut out the lower 'leg' of the "T", just go straight across. (Refer to pic)

Step 3. Slide in filter with airflow arrow pointing down. The filter, when properly installed, will protrude outside of the slot some. It will not be 'flush'.

Step 4. 'Snap' on the lid. You will need to press on the little 'ears' on each end of the lid (marked with blue tape in pic) until you hear a 'click'. This 'locks' the lid into place.

Step 5. Re-install glove box, and done!

The only "hard' part is trimming out the slot, but the material is pretty thin,,, Just take your time,,,

Future servicing of this filter is super easy!!! Takes about 2 minutes, most of which will be spent emptying the glovebox!

203.jpg

205.jpg

207.jpg

209.jpg

211.jpg

I just did the mod to my truck. It was simple, and works great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

With a sharp box cutter, just score across where the opening should be, and eventually, it will pop though. Once you are into it... just give a couple scores around the rest of the opening.... and you will be able to peal it out.

Since I'm right handed... I found that it was easier to do it from the drivers side, and lie across the seat.

FYI... it took longer to find a good box cutter, take the glove box out, and get situated, than it did to install the filter.

If you have one of these trucks... do the mod. It will save your cores. (heat/AC)

Thanks a lot guys for all the input, i really appreciate it. I am going to do the filter mod as soon as work slows down and i get some time.
But i do have one more question. I am ordering a hitch for the truck, and was wondering if i should get a receiver with the 2inch drop or the standard one. The truck sits pretty high so i think the drop is neccasary but not sure.

Thanks again

Rob

Thanks a lot guys for all the input, i really appreciate it. I am going to do the filter mod as soon as work slows down and i get some time.
But i do have one more question. I am ordering a hitch for the truck, and was wondering if i should get a receiver with the 2inch drop or the standard one. The truck sits pretty high so i think the drop is neccasary but not sure.

Thanks again

Rob

That depends on the trailer.

A 2" drop receiver is a good for general use. But, once you buy a trailer... you will want to get a different drop if need be.

On my old truck, I used a 4" drop with my boat, and a 2" drop with my bike trailer. My new truck isn't as tall... and a 2" drop is good for most of what I tow.

Thanks doc!!! What exactly is the ideal situation? Have the trailer be level, or habe a little more lean to the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back