2005 seadoo challenger 180 won't go over 35mph?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler16

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been reading threads about the seadoo challenger 180. I just bought my seadoo challenger this year and have had it out 3 times this summer. I was told the supercharger was replaced once already. The boat seems to run fine, RPM goes up to 8000+ rpm when at running hard but the speed does not go over 35mph. I've read this boat should be going around 50mph. I read one post saying to take the intake off and see if you can spin the impeller by hand in the supercharger. I tried this and could not. Does this mean my washers are good? Any suggestions as to what could be wrong if anything?

Thanks,

If the engine revs up, but you have no go then it is likely the propulsion system. Check the wear ring(s), impeller(s), and the carbon seal. To test, hammer the throttle from a dead stop. If the RPM's bounce off the rev limiter and you do not pop out of the water then it is definitely the propulsion system. I got a whole new jet pump, impeller, and carbon seal last year and never looked back. Like night and day.

thanks devonte007,

It does pop up, I am yet to hammer on it right off the hop, but have hit it pretty hard as the front pops up pretty good. RPM's hit the limit, but it seems it won't go past the 30-35 mph mark. I'm going to try this weekend your test of pinning it off the start and see. Any idea of long it should take to get to top speed on glass or reletively close?

It sounds like the engine is working fine, and you have power throughout the RPM band? I'm not exactly sure what the rev limit is on your engine (since I have the 155hp version) but I think it is just over 8,000. So, if the engine is operating good then your problem must be in the propulsion system. Below is a link to a good thread that was put together which explains exactly how a jet pump works and what cavitation is, worth a read.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?4959-quot-How-a-jet-pump-works-quot&highlight=jet+pump+works

It really sounds like your boat is captivating, or sucking air which is why you have no top end. My boat (which is smaller and less hp) gets up and out of the water without a hitch and never over revs. Should only take about 3-4 sec. to plane out on the water.

If it feels like the engine is reving up, but you have no thrust (kind of like the transmission or clutch is slipping) then it is the pump and you need maintenance or a rebuild. You could also have something stuck in there, stick, garbage, rocks, etc.

Since it sounds like you got this boat used, you should probably do a close inspection of the pump system (or have someone else do it for you), take it apart, make sure the wear ring and impeller are good, bearings and grease in good condition, etc. Also would help to know what kind of engine you have, guessing the 255hp?

If on the other hand, there is no cavitation from the pump and the engine labors to get the boat out of the water it could very well be the supercharger. I don't have the SC model so I don't quite know how it should act. Do a few tests and let us know what you find out. If I can't help I'm sure someone else will chime in and give some advise. You may also want to download the shop manual from this site if you plan on doing the work yourself, just become a premium member. Good luck!

It's the 215 hp supercharger. thanks for the info, I'm going to try and take the pump apart before I take it out this weekend hopefully. I'll let you know the outcome.

Never got to taking pump apart, but I'm going to have to take it into the shop. Took out boat today the boat performs and runs well, minus it can't get up to its rated speed. Must be the impeller or wear plate, something in the propulsion system. I wasn't sure how to do an air flow test either to see if it was sucking in air somewhere. I'll post results whenever I get it looked at. Thanks.

took it to the dealer and he said I need a new impeller and wear ring. Quoted me 390 for the impeller and 90 for wear ring. He never mentioned the type of either one. I told him I would call him back tomorrow if I wanted him to get me the parts. I looked, and I haven't seen a impeller even close to this price, that includes the helice and solace impellers for the 2005 challenger SCIC. He also quoted me 280 for labour. Does anyone know if these are reasonable prices or should I just take the boat, purchased parts my self, and find someone do install for me. Is a impeller and wear ring hard to install/remove? I could do it my self if there are not any special tools required. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The parts price he quoted you seem a bit high, here in the states you should be able to get an OE impeller for about $300, and an OE wear ring for about $60. Maybe things are more expensive in Canada? You can check the parts prices yourself by clicking the parts link at the top of this website. While everything is apart, the pump bearings and carbon seal (drive shaft seal) should also be checked. It would be a shame to have a newly rebuilt pump put on only to realize the carbon seal is bad, then everything needs to come back off again.

The labor for the work seems about right. I had my whole propulsion system completely replaced last year for about $1,200 (new impeller, pump, bearings, wear ring, carbon seal). I think my total labor for that was around $300 and the shop had fair prices for the parts.

If you have never done this work before, I may not try it myself as it requires some special tools and know how. But if you are mechanically inclined and follow the shop manual instructions, get some new tools, it should be a fairly easy job. If you become a premium member, you can download the shop manual for free and read up on what it takes to do this job.

Another option is to buy the parts yourself, take the pump off and bring in into him for a rebuild. He will then give you back the newly rebuilt pump and you put it back on yourself. Labor $ should be reduced. Whatever you decide to do, make sure to ask them to keep the old parts for you, it can be a good way to gauge whether or not you are getting ripped off. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back