2004 XP DI Fuel Problem..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemegan12

I have been having trouble with this XP DI. I changed the fuel filter and now it wouldnt start. Fuel is getting into the fuel rail but not the cyclinders. I sent the injectors out to be cleaned. installed the injectors and the same thing. Sprayed a little starter fluid in cyclinders and it fires over but cuts off. Any ideas?????

Just to clarify, it ran fine until you changed the filter?

Can you test fuel pressure? If so what is it?

Best guess off hand is electronic. As in the ECM (MPEM) that tells the injectors when to open and for how long. Could be as simple as a fuse as well.

It didnt run very good at high RPM, it bogged down. Thats why I went ahead and changed the fuel filter. I pulled the injectors out and turned it over and Im getting plenty of fuel.

Well if it started with quick start, its obvious the injectors arent being commanded on. With the key on, see if you have battery voltage (pos) at one of the terminals. If no pos, its either wiring or a bad fuse. Then crank the ski and test the other pin for ground pulses. If you don't get any ground pulses, its either the MPEM or wiring problem.

I agree.

It has to be the MPEM itself or some sort of a feed wire or a fuse that works with the MPEM. It can be a connection as well, but still same theory of a bad feed.

DIs are notorious for fuel pump problems. they have a very high pressure system, 107 psi, and if it is under 100, it won't run very well or even at all. typical failure mode is either low pressure with bogging and low top end then just dies(what you have) or it just dies completely. you will see plenty of fuel at the rail but you won't see enough pressure.

you need to stop speculating about other items until you confirm you have the correct fuel pressure. the injectors are very reliable as well is the MPEM so I wouldn't even look at those until you check fuel pressure. there are tons of posts on here regarding the DI fuel pump problems and replacement.

I totally agree with ski-dOO. Verify proper fuel pressure before moving on in the diagnosis.

I also strongly agree.

This is why I asked if you could test the pressure.

You can have all the volume you want but if nothing is pushing it the engine will not run.

Thats what I will do next... I did check to see if the injectors are getting power and they are. So its either f-pump or regulator. Thanks again for all the tips and advise..

mike

Did it go over 100 when you put the lanyard on? If not, what was it when you put the lanyard on? You really should have an accurate gauge, pressure has a very tight tolerance, 107 plus or minus 2 psi and it does make a difference.

What is your compression in each cylinder?

What is your air pressure from the compressor?

Rechecked with another gauge and only getting 60lbs. I put a little gas in the fuel line and blew a little air in and tried cranking. It fired. Fuel pump it is. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back