2003 Supercharger failure?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanLansing

Hi!
2003 4tec supercharged.
Bought used. Unknown if supercharger rebuilt. 100hrs.
Had sank twice from steering boot failure before purchased. Fixed that.
Blew everything out & drained everything, including exhaust components
Ran great for an absolutely glorious hour (I'd gone 60 on the water).
Then it stopped suddenly, now it starts and idles, but doesn't run for more than a few seconds under power.
Pulled supercharger.
I have read many posts on this issue, but have not seen the specific indications of supercharger failure. What do I need to look for? Does this mean i need to have the supercharger rebuilt:
Had some oil in hoses for air intake.
Supercharger blades move easily by my fingers.
Also had metal filings in the oil filter area, but i think (and hope) that's relatively normal and unrelated. The supercharger did not appear to be missing anything, but i didn't tear it down (yet).

(03 is pre-ceramic; pre-coated washers).
If it's not the supercharger, anything else it could be?
If yes, I assume having PWCMuscle rebuild it is better than trying it myself?
Thanks!
Dan
IMG_2197.jpgIMG_2200.jpg

Not to bust your balls, but you should have never ridden it without the supercharger being rebuilt first. They should be rebuilt every 200 hours or 2 years (whichever comes first). Since you don't know for certain, you have to assume the 17 year old SC has never been rebuilt. Ticking time bomb if it hasn't already failed.

Supercharger blades should not move freely, it’s needs inspecting and a rebuild. Per the service manual they recommend a rebuild after a water ingestion.

Clarification: if the supercharger is in the ski the wheel should not turn freely, if it’s out of the ski it will.

Last edited:
Turns out the supercharger may have been fine. Who knows.
I have low compression in the first cylinder. Looks like I blew a ring, since the pressure increased when I added oil to the cylinder.

Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back