2003 Sea-Doo GTI runs . Dies with throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudds67

Hey guys I know this has been discussed before and I’ve gone through with the usual replacements, new carburetor , spark plugs inspecting the fuel shut off valve and cleaning it clean .
Jetski runs on idle and light throttle .. the moment you try to gas it or anything it dies..
It’s got to be a fuel issue .thesr JetSki’s have fuel pumps? How do I accessed?Spent most of my Fourth of July trying to get the ski going ugh thanks

Have you checked your filters, or bypass them to see if that is where the clog is...it seems like you are not getting enough gas, also clarify, you bought new carbs or had then overhauled?

There IS a fuel pump, it's an integral part of the carb.
It's shown in the upper portion of the Mikuni carb diagram attached [notice the fuel inlet, pulse, check valves, and pulse diaphragm].
But, if you put on a NEW carb, all that sould be OK.
Twice, I put on a new carbs on my two '97 GTIs [720] and both worked great right out of the box.
I agree that it seems to be a fuel issue .. but is the issue in the carb? or the supply? the pulse?
CHECK the pulse line is secure [automotive fuel line, not soft tygon line -- as the pulse from the crankcase "powers" the fuel pump] Otherwise --
Maybe to "divide and conquor" - may I suggest, with extra fuel line [I use tygon] - rig a plastic jar, lid with two holes, half full of gas, such that the fuel supply to the carb pulls from the jar, and from the carb returns to the jar [thus bypassing the entire fuel supply system.] Start the engine, and see if it revs. If it revs ok from the jar supply, the boat supply is suspect. If it dies, then the carb / fuel pump / pulse is suspect.
If you rig your jar such that you can see the end of the fuel return line, you should see fuel dribbling back into the jar from the carb. [ if you are close to a body of water, preferably do this with the rear end dipped.]
Pic is of my "divide and conquor" jar [ it's a plastic peanut butter jar, with hole for line to carb supply, fitting for line from carb return.]
Sometimes this test can help isolate the issue to either the supply or the carb. /a

Attachments

• - Divide and conquor fuel jar.jpg
    - Divide and conquor fuel jar.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 14
  • - Mukini Carb diagram.jpg
    - Mukini Carb diagram.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
So it’s not fuel checked the supply…I was looking online people say possibly a rotary valve ? I fire the carbs up without the air cleaner and it looked like it was blow back . and it seems to run and accelerate when not in the water but the moment that there is in the water it won’t even take a light snug on the throttle…. Is this something I can do or best done to shop?

If you gas a seadoo and it dies..sometimes it is the pop off being too high.
What is this? Also forgot to add before the end of last season this JetSki was ran with a cracked manifold bolt came loose and somebody drove it and there was like 25 to 30 gallons of water in the engine so this thing got rattled is that a possibility of how the rotary valve could’ve got misaligned? I finally found a shop that’s gonna look at it but they’re two weeks out

This was the rotary valve cover it looks like there’s a little bit of a groove but the rotary valve is pretty good intact is that enough to make the ski run bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back