1996 gti sea doo is inoperable after 6 or 7 visits to mechanic's shop.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had to ask because while you mix new gas, you must also add extra oil to account for the gas already in tank. Easy to overlook, for me anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you should be using a jump box either. If your battery dies, pull it out and charge it.

What a mess.

I would suggest you follow through with what these guys have said, but on a 720 voltage isnt quite as important then say a 787 or 951 with a digital CDI. The rectifiers also dont go out as much as the 787s. I personally never jump a seadoo with anything...the electronics are just so fragile and too expensive. Jump boxes and jumping from a non running machine should not be an issue, but regardless I just dont.

Now, the one thing that hasnt been mentioned an needs to be verified...that they have oil in the rotary valve oil bath. Either the oil tank is still hooked up and they capped off the oil pump, or they hooked the two oil bath lines together and filled it with oil.

I agree. I don't want to own a jet ski that doesn't start on it's own. The jump box has been very handy. We've used it for the golf cart, another friend's rinker and another friend's runabout.

Battery is brand new. We shall see this Friday when I test the voltage.

As far as the switch to an "Oil Block", I asked about the original oil tank compartment. He said I would still keep oil in it, however it would use very little since I will be mixing the oil and gas from here on out. I hope that makes sense. So, yes I still have the original oil tank/oil cap whereas synthetic, pwc, two stroke oil will be added when needed. I immeidately ordered the oil cup with lid after getting advice on the forum 40/1.

If I may add my two cents here...Since its apparent they do not have the knowledge to fix it properly, them doing any more work on it appears pointless to me. They have done some good repairs according to you which they deserve to be paid for...I guess. Anyway my suggestion is this, ask for your money back as you mentioned or see if he will pay the bill if you take it to another shop.
Also if you do end up with it at another shop I would refrain from telling them the full details of its history. Simply tell them what the current issue is and see what they say. If they come up with a long list of repairs needed, some of them being items already replaced by the first shop, then you immediately know they can't be trusted and a second opinion is in order. Or you can simply sell it, cut your losses and start fresh with another one.

I have no clue what a rotary valve oil bath is? No need to explain. This is why I'm willing to pay someone to service this thing. No offense intended. I appreciate all the suggestions. And, when I can I'm totalling following your advice where this Sea Doo is concerned.

I have two reputbable mechanics in mind from two people I trust. One of the mechanics is in Indiana and supposedly the best with rave reviews. The other is a man that works on Airplane engines which are very similar if you've done any research. This same man has worked on and rebuild several engines on other Sea Doo's as well. And, then there's Lou Doo who I'd love to talk too after I get the call from the shop.

So, positive things are around ther corner. My goal is to get this thing up and running before I store it. And, yes I've already paid the first months rent at an underground temperature controlled facility.

Yes I appreciate your advice well given. I have pained enough readers with this story. And, yes they have done some good work. The engine locking up was the turning point for me, otherwise I wouldn't have asked for a full refund. I will not be walking into any shop unless it has been highly recommended by someone on this site and/or a person I know and trust.

I believe they will end up giving me a full refund or ordering me a new crated engine (still in package with warranty). I suggested buying it from me thinking this would be a win for them. They would eventually figure out what is wrong with this Sea Doo. And, they would have the ability to sell it not loosing much out of pocket. It's a good looking Sea Doo. And, after my detail the only thing it needs is a new upholstered seat if someone fixes it.

This shop has been extremely nice and respectful. For whatever reason they just haven't been able to get the job done. I've thought about asking them to pay another shop to fix it. However, I work in the courthouse and know that isnt' a good suggestion for many reasons. I think they will make things right. And, I will walk away with no hard feelings. I will then take it to one of the three individuals mentioned earlier and pay one of them to fix my Sea Doo. Other than one cussing I have been a model customer/lol.

no update as of yet? Shop owner said he would call me the next day. I told him to call me in a day or two when he's had time to digest some alternatives that would put this baby to sleep. I was expecting a call this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll get a call soon. I'm not one to wait around.

Seriously for a grand you have shipped it to me and I'd have it on the water a month ago. Just about any of us could have. I suggest you get the ski in the hands of someone that knows Wtf they're doing.

You have no idea. They will not be touching it again unless they purchase it (slim chance to none). On the bright side, I believe we are getting close to having my Sea Doo on the water. I've purchased a lot of new parts that indeed have been installed. The leak they caused is finally sealed. I've got through mid October to get my Sea Doo fixed and on the water before I store it. I will respectfully insist on an answer from them this afternoon. It would serve everyone well. I'd like to walk away with no hard feelings. Thanks for your suggestions.

UPDATE AS OF 2:30 P.M. ON FRIDAY...Owner texted....He is going to call me in one hour.... Hopefuly we can work this out!

You have no idea. They will not be touching it again unless they purchase it (slim chance to none). On the bright side, I believe we are getting close to having my Sea Doo on the water. I've purchased a lot of new parts that indeed have been installed. The leak they caused is finally sealed. I've got through mid October to get my Sea Doo fixed and on the water before I store it. I will respectfully insist on an answer from them this afternoon. It would serve everyone well. I'd like to walk away with no hard feelings. Thanks for your suggestions.

UPDATE AS OF 2:30 P.M. ON FRIDAY...Owner texted....He is going to call me in one hour.... Hopefuly we can work this out!

My Quote Of The Day..... "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History"......

Summer and s10gmConverson:

Okay I'm getting on horn right now... It's been over an hour.... I'll be posting within the hour...

I AM HAPPY ALTHOUGH I WILL MISS MY 1996 GTI SEA DOO. THE SHOP OWNER OF EXTREME SPORTS CONTACTED ME. HE CHOSE SUGGESTION #1 WHICH WAS THE KELLY BLUE BOOK RETAIL AT MY TIME OF PURCHASE ($1600.00) PLUS A FULL REFUND ($1002.00). CHECK WILL BE MAILED ON MONDAY IN THE AMOUNT OF $2600.00. AND, AFTER CHECK CLEARS (I'm sure it will) I WILL DELIVER SEA DOO, TITLE, REGISTRATION, NEW NEOPRENE HANDLEBAR COVERS/LOL AND PROBABLY THROW IN BLIZZARDS/LOL FOR THE ENTIRE SHOP. IT WAS AN AWESOME UNBELIEVEABLE MEETING OF THE MINDS. I AM HOPEFUL HE WILL RE-COUP MOST OF HIS MONEY AND/OR KEEP THE SEA DOO WHEN THEY FIGURE IT OUT. WELL HOW'S THAT FOR A HAPPY ENDING!
MY HATS OFF TO BRANDON AT EXTREME SPORTS.
THANKS TO ALL THE MEMBERS/POSTERS AT THE SEA DOO FORUM FOR HELPING ME WITH SUGGESTIONS, SOLUTIONS AND CONCERN ALONG THE WAY. EVERYONE HAS BEEN GREAT. I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH. THE SEARCH BEGINS.. WITH LITTLE TIME LEFT IT MAY BE SPRING.

[/SIZE]Just an FYI... My purchase price ws $2300.00. Repairs were $1002.00. I paid more than blue book because of the new engine. I lost a little money ($700.00) while learning some priceless information on this site. Plus, I would have put at least $200.00 a weekend in the gas tank if she would have been running. It's all good. AND I'M SO GRATEFUL TO EXTREME SPORTS FOR DOING THEIR BEST TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT....

SAD HAPPY AND RELIEVED TO BE MOVING FORWARD....

Kudos to the shop for making it right for ya. I am really surprised they did that much. To me that says a lot about their integrity.
Hopefully things will be better on the next purchase. On that note I wouldn't rush buying one. I know you want to get in the water while you still can but now that riding season will soon be over you will most likely find more to choose from. Everyone wants to buy one in the spring and everyone wants to sell in the fall. Supply goes up the prices come down. :thumbsup:
Biggest issue is once you buy it you will have to just look at it taunting you until the warmer weather comes back. :drool5:

Yea, bought one in December one year. The wait is killer. The wife snapped a picture of me in the garage sitting on it like I was riding lol. ( I didn't think any one was watching)

That is great, I have read most of the postings about this nightmare, the shop seemed to always try to do the right thing even though they could not repair the ski. This says that a lot about their integrity, it would make me feel that they are at least good, honest people and try to do the right thing. Now take your time, get a mechanic to go with you, get another one for next year. Good luck and many happy days riding ahead.

Awesome, you are a very optimistic person, I'd be pissed I lost 700 out of it, but I think everything worked out very reasonably and the shop was very fair and ethical, best of luck with your next purchase

I've been following this thread and am very happy for you. folks with integrity are far and few! you should be able to get a pretty nice seadoo for the money. good luck on your search!

Very impressive move by the shop. Too bad you lost so much of the summer messing with this and are out the $700. This is the buyers time of year though, and you feel you've got another month to "get your feet wet, so take some time looking, do a compression check on any you consider and be sure to do a water test. You want to look for the obvious things..... Grey fuel lines, wear ring, etc.. Find out what oil the seller has been using. Over the winter you may want to change the pump oil and send your carbs to Dr. Honda to be rebuilt.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Glad it is over and worked out pretty well for you.

As mentioned above, right now it is a buyers market. No one wants to pay to winterized and storage and plan on selling them next season.

Can be bought HUNDREDS dollars less now compared to the beginning if next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back