2003 Islandia w/250 Merc opti Questions please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

froggie76

First off I wish to say hi all and that this is a great place for info .I recently purchased a 2003 Islandia with the merc 250 opti.I have been looking all over for info and keep coming up with dead ends. So I’d like to ask the experts (owners).#1 What plugs should be in this thing and with what gap? Have had several different answers. #2 Wear ring gap spec.#3 Where can I find impellers and wearrings?#4 why is so difficult to find support for the 250 optimax?or anyone know where to get good info?#5 On glass @5500 rpm what top speed ? I am getting about 40 with 2 persons(350lbs) on board . I’m sure ill have more questions but ill start with this .Thank you all in advance .

Welcome !

Welcome to the forum froggie......!

I'm at work and in the forum, just to be hangin out, so I don't have the manual on your boat available at the moment. But, your problems are going to be what they are, because you bought a hybrid. It's a cross between a Mercury and a Seadoo.

Seadoo shops can't work on it because it's a Merc, Mercury shops will tell you they don't work on Jet Boats.......(Seadoo), but it has a Mercury engine in it..........or a hybrid. The Mercs were used from about 1999 or 2000 up to 2004 or so. When the 255hp Rotax came out, the weight ratio to the Merc lost out. Now, all Seadoo's have the Rotax engine again.

The best place for me to point out for you to find stuff for your boat would be Crowley Marine. I've recommended them several times and I've yet to get a bad comment about them.

Here's their web.........http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/4095.cfm

Thank you Seadoosnipe .I will have to check out crowleymarine .maybe they can help. I allready know I am in need of a new screw before next season.mine is all chewed up and id like to look into a wear ring but i hear there are issues with the ring for the mercs.

I will be doing most of my own work on the boat and engine.My bigest issue is finding parts ,specs and manuals .I have a manual on the bout but dosent tell much on the engine and nothingon the drive .and something as simple as sparkplugs and gap,i cant get a good answer out of seadoo dealers or merk.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can find a local Sugar Sand dealer check with them as they still use the Merc engines. If you need an impeller housing (the Mercs don't have a wear ring) eagle racing in Alberta, Canada will rebuild yours with a stainless steel insert. http://www.outlaweagle.com/
They also stock a selection of impellers if you want more hole shot. Just remember more low end means less top end.:cheers:

Aaron

The mercs aren't so bad. They are easy to work on and if you call any merc shop dont ask to speak to service, ask to speak to a mechanic, and tell them what you have and more then likely they will help you out.

Thank you all for the info .I will agree the Mercs are great, reliable, good on fuel and easy to work on. What I am finding difficult is finding info and parts that is all .if bought this craft because on the merc power head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back