2002 GTX RFI won't run over 30 mph.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the engine getting hot? No beeping on the display or msgs?
There is another set of codes you can check but hitting the start stop button 5 times without the key and it should give some beeps if there is trouble. Look at the manual in section 5 or 6 I can’t remember

I think Miki is asking about the craft's performance "in the water" and whether the engine is "not" revving up, or it is revving up and not going anywhere. Your description sounds to me like the engine is "not revving up". I have a 1999 GTX RFI I just purchased and am following this thread but our skis are not identical. RFI's are new to me but I am very cunning and devious when searching for a problem with those same qualities. :) I just can't let go. :D :D

On a side note, I sent my fuel injectors out for cleaning. Cost me $48. That could possibly be an issue for you if you have not checked that already. Good Luck !!

I think Miki is asking about the craft's performance "in the water" and whether the engine is "not" revving up, or it is revving up and not going anywhere. Your description sounds to me like the engine is "not revving up". I have a 1999 GTX RFI I just purchased and am following this thread but our skis are not identical. RFI's are new to me but I am very cunning and devious when searching for a problem with those same qualities. :) I just can't let go. :D:D

On a side note, I sent my fuel injectors out for cleaning. Cost me $48. That could possibly be an issue for you if you have not checked that already. Good Luck !!
I bought new injector since mine sat with old gas for a few years. Most of the fuel system components have been replaced along with the spark plugs and rectifier. We are still having the issue.

I posted some pictures on my 99 GTX RFI thread. I replaced the fuel filters on my RFI today.... Unbelievable. I can't believe the ski even started and one cylinder had zero compression. I'm sure my ski would not have run very long. I read you replaced your already so that is a good thing to do. :) 20181010_123229.jpgGTX RFI Fuel Filter2.jpg

Oh wow just reread your last post haha did you geget it up and running or was that you on another post getting it up to 5600rpm now?

Rfi’s can foul plugs quickly. Put in a new set and see if it runs good. Cleaning them wont help. Check your charging 13.5 v by revving to 3000 rpm on land. You can also charge your battery manually and see if you get 20 minutes out of it. If your charging 13.5 v I would even try a new battery. These rfi s need a constant voltage and 12.3 is low.

The rave valves don't appear to be too bad. However, there is a lot of oil on the front one. Some oil came out of the rear one as well. Is this normal? If not what does it mean?

I cleaned the Rave valves. They were not in bad shape. My son took the ski out today and it would only go about 11 mph. I am looking for more suggestions on what to look for.

I pulled the tank on my 2001 GTX RFI and want to replace the fuel pump. What replacement pump did you use.?

Some pictures of my prop and wear ring. Could this be causing my speed issues?
20190728143547.jpg20190728143508.jpg20190728143449.jpg20190728143421.jpg20190728143351.jpg
20190728143224-jpg.42986

Attachments

• 20190728143224.jpg
    20190728143224.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 36
Doesn't look bad from what I can see but it would be a good idea to get a feeling gauge and check the clearance between the impeller and wear ring.

Update.

I had the ski scanned to see if there were any codes as it appears to be in limp mode. The technician that scanned took it out on the water to see for himself the issues I am having. He stated that the ski would not go over about 10 mph. He did notice that the engine would rev up when the impeller came out of the water, then would go back down when in the water. Any suggestions as to what to look at next?

Get a new technician. He should be able to tell you what ISN'T wrong. From my experience with the RFI skis the Candoo is good for making keys and resetting the Throttle Position sensor. The good thing is that fuel injected skis work pretty much like everything else. Fuel, Compression, and fire. Gotta be one of the three. Sometimes it's more than one . Ha ha Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back