2002 GTX 4-TEC excessive smoke

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty_S

Recently replaced the oil pump assembly, exhaust manifold, head gasket, and starter gears. That required removal of the PTO. Everything is back together and the timing chain was carefully put back in the same position. Now the engine has a lot of trouble starting, drains the battery very quickly, and when it does start there is a crazy amount of smoke out of the exhaust. It will only stay running if the throttle is up a bit. When it drops back to idle, engine will stop. Must be burning a large amount of oil. Not sure what to look at next. Any suggestions?

Well, the smoke was white. I found the problem but only after it was too late...

Somewhere in the re-assembly, I believe an intake valve did not get back in correctly in the #1 cyl. It stuck open and then got struck by the piston. This broke the valve and rocker arm. I wish this was the only problem. The valve went into the cylinder and tried to convince the piston to stop. It was unsuccessful. The broken valve smashed up into everything damaging the head beyond repair and eventually shattering the piston into several large pieces and countless smaller ones. I couldn't find 2 that I could piece together. As these pieces fell down, as gravity would have them do, they got in the way of the piston arm, shaft, etc, scoring the piston walls on their way down. All in all...

Broken Valve + destroyed head + shattered piston + scored cylinder = time to part it out...

So, anyone need a good starter, clean intake and/or exhaust manifolds, PTO and stator, oil pump assembly, something to shoot at?

Don't give up yet a sleeve is $100.00 yo ud be surprised how easily the head can be fixed. If yah got the head off post a pic. You'll definetly need a slleve and piston but theyre cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back