2001 speedster....HELP!! need tech advise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fresno69

hey guys, i just bought a 01 speedster w/240 merc. the boat is absolutely like brand new. because it was not used for 3 years, it has a full tank of old gas. the boat was stored indoors in dry ca. weather. i drained the old gas and added 5 gallons of good premium gas. it will not start on it's own. if i take out the plugs and spray them down with starter fluid, it will fire for a split second. then i sprayed starter fluid in the air intake flap down in front of the motor and it will run on starter fluid. the plugs were wet when i first removed them, so it is getting gas. could the plugs be fouled, but still fire on starter fluid but not on gas? any advise would be great! i was wondering if the old gas has created a problem throughout the fuel system? or should i start with fresh plugs even though they run on starter fluid?

thanks, Earle

Stale Gas

Hello Earle, Chances are that since the engine was laid up so such a long time, the fuel that was in the fuel system has broken down and usually leaves a residue in your fuel system. This will clog up your passages in the fuel system and would therefore need to be removed and cleaned. Once you have completed that, then you should also install new sparkplugs and be ready for the water. Also do not try to run the engine with the starter fluid to long as this can cause other problems internally in the engine. It is fine to use it for a cold start or just to insure that the engine will start. I hope that helps you out. Richard

Hello Earle, Chances are that since the engine was laid up so such a long time, the fuel that was in the fuel system has broken down and usually leaves a residue in your fuel system. This will clog up your passages in the fuel system and would therefore need to be removed and cleaned. Once you have completed that, then you should also install new sparkplugs and be ready for the water. Also do not try to run the engine with the starter fluid to long as this can cause other problems internally in the engine. It is fine to use it for a cold start or just to insure that the engine will start. I hope that helps you out. Richard
hey guys, thanks!!! tell me where all the filters are located, and i will check them out. i will also get new plugs today. if i get it running, will the old gas residue clean itself out of the system after it runs on the new gas for awhile? or do i need to add some injector cleaner to the tank?
thanks again, Earle

read your manual also!. alot of good information on there on filters, gas lines, oil lines etc.! good luck
Rookie...help. well i installed new plugs, and still only runs as long as i squirt gas in the intake flap at the lower front of the motor. i was wrong, i assumed it was getting fuel because the the old plugs were wet. i removed the fuel/water filter that has the wire on the bottom. i dumped out the old gas, and filled it up with new gas before putting it back on. is that good enough, or can it still be the problem? i just don't have a boat shop near me to get a new filter, but if you guys think that may still be clogged i will go get a new one....thanks, Earle..
update, i removed the fuel/water filter, dumped out the gas and installed it dry. then i turned on the key and let it click click for 20 sec. then cranked it for 10 sec. i repeated that 4 times, and removed the filter and it was maybe 1/4 full of fuel??is that normal?? it had a little pressure in it when i removed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax.......

Ok first it may still be as simple as bad gas, so we need to eliminate that first. When you are looking at the engine on the port side you will see the vapor separator just in front and below the spin on filter. If you look closely you will see a drain screw at the bottom of it. Place a container under it and remove the screw to drain all the fuel from it. Now go ahead and remove and drain both of the filters and drain them as well. fill the water separator up with fresh fuel again and once everything is put back together hook the motor up to your garden hose and turn on the hose. Now crank the engine for thirty seconds or so three or four times. If the engine starts great, but if it does not we need to determine where the loss of fuel is.

remove the water separator again and look for fuel. If it is full the low pressure side of the system is working. Now remove the plug at the bottom of the vapor separator again and see if it is full of fuel. If it isn't the water separator may be plugged. If it is full it is a problem with the high pressure side of the system.

Your high pressure pump resides in the vapor separator and it has a filter on the bottom of it.

Do these checks and get back to me so we know what direction to go.

Aaron:cheers:

Just FYI this engine has three fuel pumps and the flow of fuel is as follows.

Fuel tank - fuel is picked up through the small fuel filter by the low pressure electric fuel pump and is sent to the pulse fuel pump. From there it is sent to the fuel/water separator and then into the vapor separator where it is mixed with oil. It is now picked up by the electric high pressure pump through the filter attached to the bottom of it and sent to the fuel rail and injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back