2001 2000 challenger v6 boat advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark holcomb

I had planned on buying an 1800 twin challenger but found a mint condition 2001:cool: challenger with a v6 200hp (i believe). Absolutely gorgeous boat. I paid less than 1800 so I could not say no. The motor has some type of problem. I cannot look at it for now due to a broken ankle but the owner said it was beeping so he took it in. The repair shop supposedly repaired it. He then took it out again....it abruptly stopped. He fired it up....it was beeping again and he said it sounded bad so he was towed in. He took out a plug and it had some aluminum shavings on it although it did run. I think it could have been heat realated or oil injection problem. I bought it with the idea it may need a total rebuild.....any idea of cost? I feel maybe 2k-2500. I will look at myself before I take it in . Any ideas with what I have said.....I am thrilled to have it....just looking for my next step. Thanks to all Mark

Hopefully one of the Merc guys can help ya. They can be very costly to rebuild the engine (5 grand), but hopefully it doesnt need a total rebuild.

Probably the oil drive gear. These go often in this motor and was a major weak link. If you continue to run with this problem it will eventually throw a rod. My theory is that people keep letting the engine cool down and then run it again until it really releases the rod. I could see the rod bearings starting to get blue on my engine. Plus, you will also ruin the crank and rods which is big bucks along with the block. So, if the motor has a thrown rod it is basically useless and a new or rebuilt entire block is big money. Do not run any more for starters...

I rebuilt my motor from this problem. Attached is the link with all of the pictures. The block can be bored out and can even be bored for just the bad cylinders (Usually 1 or 2). The new oversized pistons are sold to weigh the same as the original. I chose to bore and hone the engine to .030 over.

Your problem could also be fuel, etc. but the shavings of metal suggests a meltdown of the cylinder from oil...

Herer is the link.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=32318

Good Luck... I have 10 tanks of fuel on my motor...all of last summer with the new rebuild and it runs great.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back