2000 XP no spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocaj88

Hey guys, new to the site and have found everything on here to be very informative and love it.
I owned a few superjets and thought it was time to get a sit down so I bought a non running 2000 XP. I know very little about the ski but that it has no spark.
I’ve been working on it for 3 months now with no luck. First time I put it all together and tired to get it to run I got a loud boom out the exhaust and blew a crack in the resonator. I assume from unburnt fuel. I checked the spark after that to find that it was intermittent. I went on vacation and when I came back there was no spark. Not sure what’s up so I charged the battery and it seemed to have the internment spark again. I thought it would be the stator or pulse could so I bench tested both and they seemed find. Did the start button 5 times to get the correct 1 beep so I was convinced it was the pulse coil. One other weird thing it was doing, it would show rpms once in a while. Seemed like it matched up with when spark would go.
So I ordered a used OEM stator and I installed it and now i can’t get the beeps from the mpem. Anymore. The 7.5amp fuse seems to keep blowing, but I think that’s the VTS, so possibly a different problem? I’m a little lost at this point. I’m used to very few electronics and it seems like this thing has me stumped.

As of right now when I put the key on I hear what I think is the fuel pump run for 2 second but there are not any beeps. If I hit the start button it turns over just fine but no spark. I have +13 volts at the 15 amp fuse on the mpem. I’m not sure what else I should check.
I’ve thought grounding issue but I’m unsure where to check the ground. Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!

I have tried multiple batteries. I reinstalled the old stator and no beeps when putting the key on the des post just the fuel pump. Gages show nothing except the VTS maxes out when the key is out on

Have you ruled out the trigger pick up? If that is not functioning, that will kill your spark.

You could also have a separate issue regarding the beeps. You beeper May have quit working (very common). If it cranks over or if the gauges come alive when with key on, most likely the beeper is not working

I tried a new starter cover with stator and pickup coil so I will rule out the pickup as there was no spark with eigther. The only gage that comes on is the vts the rest do not. I know the fuel gage should show at least half full and the rpm should show up as well but nothing is showing. Any other ideas?

I just went out to work on it some more to find that it is now beeping when I put the key on but the gages are still not working.

On a digital multimeter I get .15vac across the trigger coil.
I am measuring at the harness that goes into the mpem

Looking at the harnesses I find this a little strange, it looks like there is just a wire shorting across these 2 pins, is that how it’s suposed to be?

Attachments

• AEC3AB5C-366A-43A5-815E-03C356D9A6F6.jpeg
    AEC3AB5C-366A-43A5-815E-03C356D9A6F6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
240 ohm at the coil. I used a digital multimeter measuring VAC and the numbers were bouncing around but there was definitely a voltage there when cranking. I feei like it’s the mpem but unsure how to test it to be sure

240 ohm at the coil. I used a digital multimeter measuring VAC and the numbers were bouncing around but there was definitely a voltage there when cranking. I feei like it’s the mpem but unsure how to test it to be sure

I just went through this with my Yamaha 90hp outboard. You need a service manual. Follow the steps for troubleshooting ignition spark issues. For the Yamaha, you had to test the other components for failure to eliminate them. Easy test is the ohm test. Values should be in manual. Most of of the time the ohm test will reveal if there is an issue with a component. But not always. Sometimes they test resistance correctly but under load they fail. So, you need to make sure the voltage output is within specs. A digital volt meter does not sample fast enough to measure the output voltage of these coils. You need a DVA adapter which will convert to dc and show peak voltage.

Last edited:
I will have to go through everything. I was getting frustrated because I was reading even if things check out they could still be bad. I swapped in a different mpem computer and it did not fix the problem. I willl have to go over everything now. I’m just confused because I get a more reliable spark if the batter is fresh off the tender at 13+ volts rather than 12.8. Any idea on where I should start checking?

I will have to go through everything. I was getting frustrated because I was reading even if things check out they could still be bad. I swapped in a different mpem computer and it did not fix the problem. I willl have to go over everything now. I’m just confused because I get a more reliable spark if the batter is fresh off the tender at 13+ volts rather than 12.8. Any idea on where I should start checking?

If it’s not the mpem and higher voltage allowed it to spark I would be leaning towards the coil.

I have not load tested the battery, i had thought if I cranked with plugs out I wouldn’t have to worry about load. Would using a test light on the white wire into the coil verify it was the coil?

Threw in the strongest battery I had and it definitely cranked faster but still no spark. I’m looking at the wiring harness into the mpem and I’m a little confused. It shows pins 1-9 and 1-16 as having batt.2 and batt.1 but I do not have anything in those pins. I’m also confused what the bk is connecting

Diagram and picture attached below. Another question I have is that there are currently 3 ground wires run to the front of the motor. Should this be. One final question is why is there a ground run to the front electrical box, it looks like it has posts on top but they do not run inside the Ebox. I’m sorry if these are super simple questions

Attachments

• 19F10C8F-8DE8-4608-8BF1-8B8E16F1C793.jpeg
    19F10C8F-8DE8-4608-8BF1-8B8E16F1C793.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 5BB011EF-690B-4D8B-8F05-DE9C23686DDA.png
    5BB011EF-690B-4D8B-8F05-DE9C23686DDA.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 60698A4D-D895-4031-86EB-6DE6F92331F3.jpeg
    60698A4D-D895-4031-86EB-6DE6F92331F3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
I am referring to these posts, I also only have 1 fuse in the front but the wiring diagram seems to agree with that

Let's get the simple things settled for no spark. Your ski is 19 years old. Have you removed the boots from the spark plugs wires, cut the wires back 1/4" inch and screwed the boots back on?

Worked on it today. Replaced the steering harness, main harness, and coil — still no spark. Voltage before cranking 12.8V cranking voltage 11.5V. I’m not sure where to go from here. I have replaced pretty much the entire system. Could the des post be causing something like this? Could it possibly be bad battery wires. I really have no idea what it could be. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I buy all my parts on eBay I’m good working condition but don’t have a running ski I can try parts in or pull parts from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back