2000 Seadoo rx di mpem smokes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aftermarket MPEM? I want to check that out for my curiosity, I have real doubts about something like that can work at a reasonable price, especially DI. :)

@mikidymac, tell us about the VTS, it's an MPEM killer, right?
That is correct. Internal shorts in the VTS module have been known to short out MPEM's. It is recommended to unplug all of the wires going to the VTS if it is bad and you continue to run the ski.

I think you are ready to connect the battery normally, I'd probably use a 10A fuse instead of the 30A fuse just to be cautious, this won't allow you to start the engine but it provides more safety than the 30A fuse for testing purposes. Now you have a 15A in this location, that's also safer than 30A

You should have gauges, and the fuel pump should whir for a few seconds putting the DESS key on that came with the new MPEM, as normal.

If everything operates normally and the small fuse doesn't trip, then go for maximum smoke with the 30A fuse, cross your fingers and prey it doesn't go up in flames. (sorta kidding, it shouldn't!)
Did this put DESS on and it beeped twice and fuel pump turned on.

Then rip out the VTS, throw it on the garage floor and stomp on it. (kidding again, don't do this of course!)

I personally haven't seen one blow the MPEM but I know others hat have so I don't take a chance. I just buy tested used ones from Minnetonka4me. I like having the VTS work.

I personally haven't seen one blow the MPEM but I know others hat have so I don't take a chance. I just buy tested used ones from Minnetonka4me. I like having the VTS work.

In this case the VTS is definitely shorted, we'll never know for sure if this was why the MPEM was damaged, impossible to prove it IMO. A shorted VTS certainly didn't help and the MPEM did fail about this same time so we can draw conclusions. Personally, without dissecting the MPEM, I think there's no relationship, more than likely it was jump started, we just don't have the detailed history for why the surge protect diode shorted (it's my unproven feeling this diode is shorted).

In this case the VTS is definitely shorted, we'll never know for sure if this was why the MPEM was damaged, impossible to prove it IMO. A shorted VTS certainly didn't help and the MPEM did fail about this same time so we can draw conclusions. Personally, without dissecting the MPEM, I think there's no relationship, more than likely it was jump started, we just don't have the detailed history for why the surge protect diode shorted (it's my unproven feeling this diode is shorted).
Ok just got home from work and put a 25A fuse in for the 30A fuse....put key on it beeped twice then said maintenance and red light flashing....I’ve tried holding the set button for 2 secs to try and clear it....the battery is at 12.33 volts but wouldn’t it say low voltage not maintenance? Owners manual says if it will not clear then issue with direct injection.

In the manual it says about every engine sensor will throw a MAINT light, including the fuel level sensor. Fuel level sensor won't cause limp mode though. MAINT for fuel is a kind of surprise to me but maybe it makes sense as a low fuel warning.

Buzzer code 6 on most, I'll look up buzzer codes.

In the manual it says about every engine sensor will throw a MAINT light, including the fuel level sensor. Fuel level sensor won't cause limp mode though. MAINT for fuel is a kind of surprise to me but maybe it makes sense as a low fuel warning.

Buzzer code 6 on most, I'll look up buzzer codes.
Lo-FUEL is real for low fuel, MAINT is failed fuel sensor plus other items from the list as well.

Without the ski in the water under load you will not know anything.

It’s running now and apparently is ok. Give it a shot.

Are you suggesting leaving it on the trailer and punch the throttle? Can I just hook up a hose?

Yes, just be careful not to suck the concrete pad through the pump. Hose won't tell you much and doesn't cool the carbon ring anyway. Spray water on the carbon ring while running on the hose but you won't really know much till the hull is in the water.

On the trailer at idle I believe the DI only fires one cylinder, BTW.

Yes, just be careful not to suck the concrete pad through the pump. Hose won't tell you much and doesn't cool the carbon ring anyway. Spray water on the carbon ring while running on the hose but you won't really know much till the hull is in the water.

On the trailer at idle I believe the DI only fires one cylinder, BTW.
I think tommorow I am gonna take it to a dealer and see what they can get from the MPEM as I dont want to run it hard and possibly hurt something worse....when giving it throttle it wanted to die so am wondering if it is in limp mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back