2000 rx 951 little issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scortpower

Hi all, Recently picked up a rx 951. After discovering the previous owner did something wrong to the pump I ended up fitting a new one before I could hit the water.
so the weekend I took it out to see how it went and then assess what needs to be done to get it 100%
fires up great and idles fine but when I hit the throttle it felt a big boggy and then suddenly it would shoot out the water and its off. When that happens the thing flys and runs great.
Once I got it home I did some digging. First off checked the plugs and they were a nice brown colour. compression 125ish on both cylinders.
Then I checked the raves and discovered one barely moved. took it apart and cleaned it and put it back and was still stiff. I noticed the small vacuum line was blocked.
cleared that and they are free again.
is the sticking rave valve likely to be the problem?
I wont be out again now until I get a dry suit as over here was 5 degrees and bloody freezing in a wet suit.

more likely the accelerator pump needs cleaned/replaced.

try opening the throttle slowly vs. 'flooring it'. if it accelerates smoothly, the pump is your issue.

I can hear the accelerator pump squirt fuel in when engine isn't running? From what I've read it's meant to do that. A lot of posts also mention the rave valves which is why checked valves to see one was stuck

well, the other major issue w/these skis is the grey tempo fuel lines. due to ethanol in the fuel, they deteriorate and turn into a green clogged mess... so they may not pass enough fuel to run the engine properly. you need to remove the lines, clean the fuel selector switch, and replace them with new ones.

Its not a common problem here with the grey fuel lines. That problem seems to be more an American issue.
although I will be changing them anyway as a precaution. From researching the internet the rave symptom pops up many times so I am hoping it is just that. I will soon find out on the next run out when I get a dry suit as over here 5 degrees and jet sking is pretty nippy.

The RAVE valves don't open until the 3,000-4,000 rpm range so if it has a big bog when you first hit the throttle it isn't likely the RAVES. They should still move freely though.

The big bog of idle is almost always a dirty carb and/or accelerator pump.

its not a big bog just a little one until the revs rise slowly then it takes off. From what I can gather one was moving slightly and the other I think was probably stuck open.
They are both clean from gunk and carbon and now move freely. I will see on the next ride what its like.

just a little update I cleaned the rave and it made a minor difference but still had the little bog. Decided to rebuild the carbs. Once I had the carbs apart I found a tiny hole in the accelerator pump line! guess that's not going to help things. Any way carbs are rebuilt and I should have it running tonight.
Maybe on Saturday I might be able to hit the water and hope for the best.

Hi I am having the same issue with mine, Will do the carbs this weekend especially the little filters will if possible check the reed valves
let you know next week how i went
Regards
Steve

Hi I am having the same issue with mine, Will do the carbs this weekend especially the little filters will if possible check the reed valves
let you know next week how i went
Regards
Steve

Same here actually..

I rebuilt my carbs last year. My first time doing it so I may have missed this. I was trying to cure a top end issue , which I managed to solve that by rebuilding it with Mikuni parts.

For the Fuel ACC pump, i only checked that it was spraying air when the lever pushed in. I noticed the previous owner had disabled it, but he never rejetted. So I removed the restriction, but I now have a low end bog were i did not have previously. I kind of live with it.

Let me know how you go.

Another big suspect outwith the carbs is the Exhaust Water Pressure Regulator (looks like a Rave Valve), that can cause the exact same symptoms apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tks for your reply Exhaust water pressure reg interesting never even considered that . must check the Forums could sve a lot of time pulling thins apart
Let you know my result after this weekend
regards
Steve

Well I got it built back up and running. Had a little bog when I revved it but maybe that's because I've put all new fuel lines in and maybe some trapped air. Only did it the once when I fired it quickly. Will run it on the hose over the weekend and then try take it to the water to see how it goes.

Afternoon, yesterday I managed to water test the rx. it ran great for about 1.5 hour then on the way back to the slipway it started to bog, splutter and not really rev, Felt like it was running on one cylinder. Pulled it out the water and fired it up to clear water out and went home. Checked the plugs one was a nice tan colour the other pretty black so I am thinking a fouled plug caused it to run rough on the way back. Up till that point it was spot on but prior to that the last bit of riding was pretty much stop and start and slow riding.
Stupidly I didn't take a picture of the plugs but I am just hoping that's the case. I have also ordered a new set of plugs to then go out and try again.
I did also check all connections again and all looked ok and also check the compression which was 125psi on both cylinders which it was the same as it was when I first got it.
Any thoughts and points would be great I just hope its the plug.

I didn,t get that far How on earth do you remove the bottom nut to remove the exhaust manifold.
And I,m learning Ive got the dreaded grey fuel lines (!5 years of use though)

Why are you removing the exhaust? If it's to rebuild the carbs, don't remove the exhaust, you can remove them with the exhaust in place. Actually, I think you need to remove the carbs first before you can even remove the exhaust.

Thanks Marky
Have just figured that out
Wont gt a chance till next weekend will let you know the outcome
Regards
steve

I harp on it all the time. Do a pressure test of your fuel system. You might have a leak. Pop off tester does the job.

Adjust your low speed screw for just smooth idle. Then idle speed screw. Read up on carbs. Cleaning is very important. Some carbs you may never get to function right. You might have to replace them or it. Replacing the jets may cure it too. Read the sticky on carbs at first part of this page. OSD.com has information on carbs too. Make sure your pulse line is good and clamped. It supplies vacuum to run fuel pump stage of carb.

I replace the fuel strainer too.
Also when you have it apart replace the small 3/32" oil injection lines.

I removed my exhaust as I have the special spanner, made access easier removing the carbs with the exhaust out the way.
as to the replies what do you think to my issue of the bog after a couple of hours out? fouled plug is my feeling as had one really black and the other fine and it did feel like a misfire/splutter and barely revved

Hi
all sorted Filters were clogged after 15 years Compression 135 in each Runs like it was new
Thanks for your input
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back