2000 GTX - Top End Power Loss

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkirby

First time poster here.

Beginning my 3rd season on the lake with a 2000 model GTX and this problem seems to have started midway through last summer. The Ski runs ok other then a few sputters from time to time when you gun it. The issue is that when it bottoms out on a swell or hits the water hard and you are at high RPM it seems to bog down the engine momentarily and then it revs back up again. The problem seems to affect it less when i keep it down around 5000 RPMS but if i am trying to haul-ass (mid 6000RPMs) it is constantly revving and bogging as you skip across waves. When i first got it, no matter how hard i hit the water, it would power right through. Maybe related, but i have noticed a loss of power over time. I used to have no issue pulling a tube and now it labors pretty hard. Not sure if this is a common issue.

Is this the infamous wear ring needing to be replaced? Anything else i can do to restore power to an old 2 stroke?

Thanks Y'all.

Nope... when the wear ring is gone... the engine rev's high, and you don't go.

If it's bogging... then ether...

1) the engine is starting to get tired. (Check compression)

2) Carbs need cleaned. (Running a little lean)

3) if you have tempo hoses... they need replaced.

He has the GTX ME I think it will be the 800 RFI motor with no carbs or gray fuel lines. Tkirby can you tell use what motor you have please.

He has the GTX ME I think it will be the 800 RFI motor with no carbs or gray fuel lines. Tkirby can you tell use what motor you have please.

Well.....

Yep... good catch. But 2000 was a strange year. There were some 99's marketed as 2000, and there were 3 versions of the GTX too.

So... OP... before we can give you a real answer... post a pic of your engine and ski.

have you cleaned the rave valves lately? maybe sticking causing bog. check the rave bellows for condition. if needed buy oem only as i had a bad issue with a aftermarket brand. possibly a rectifier starting to go bad. check the voltage should be low 13's to 14 volts while running. if it's upward to 15 or more volts replace the rectifier as a bad one can cause irregular running. i
if the rectifier is bad, don't go cheep! i would recommend a heavy duty (4 tec) one from osd parts that is modified to work really well with rfi or di skis. also check the compression, 150 psi is ideal but not lower than 135 to 140psi
check the compression first before digging in too deep.

Just for some clarity.

When the engine REVs up as it should, does the ski perform well? Or does it REV and the ski kind of not go as well.

I am specifically asking about when it REVs, not when it bogs.

I kind of think you have two issues, just trying eliminate one of them off hand..

Just for some clarity.

When the engine REVs up as it should, does the ski perform well? Or does it REV and the ski kind of not go as well.

I am specifically asking about when it REVs, not when it bogs.

I kind of think you have two issues, just trying eliminate one of them off hand..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back