2000 GTX Starter removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
gtx starter removal

the starter is bolt on to the engine by two 5mm allen screws. Remove them, and pull back the starter. located just below the lower left carb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2000 GTX and the starter is grounded. How do you remove the starter????

bill35128;64774 , i have a 2000 gtx, havent really started on it yet but if you have the same model, it would be good to share some info. i also have a you tube page therockkkkher , if anyone wants to talk!!!:boxing_smiley:

Hi, I have a 98 Gtx Ltd and am trying to get the starter motor out,the engine is the 951, I'm sure I read somewhere that you need the engine out to remove it.
I have got the 2 allen bolts out but cannot get the starter out of the housing,
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bracket?

Hi, I have a 98 Gtx Ltd and am trying to get the starter motor out,the engine is the 951, I'm sure I read somewhere that you need the engine out to remove it.
I have got the 2 allen bolts out but cannot get the starter out of the housing,
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I see where you have the two allen head bolts out but you don't mention that you got the bracket nut off. The bracket on the back side of the starter is additional support. If you did not remove this, it's your hold up. The engine does not need to be removed to get the starter off. It would have to be removed if you needed to get at the starter drive assembly. You'd have to remove the magneto flywheel. The starter gear assembly sits behind it.

So, to double check, you have a total of "3" retainers holding the starter on.:cheers:

Thanks for that, I have removed the rear bracket bolt, there is a copper or brass bolt that a cable is connected to through the body the head seems to be turned off, do I need to get this out or is it just an electrial connection to the casing.
Many thanks for your help,

Not sure....

Thanks for that, I have removed the rear bracket bolt, there is a copper or brass bolt that a cable is connected to through the body the head seems to be turned off, do I need to get this out or is it just an electrial connection to the casing.
Many thanks for your help,

Not sure I understand you right.... But, do not take anything else off but the nut and bracket. On the back of the starter, is a place to remove the long, small bolts. There is 2 of them, they hold the starter together. Do not remove them, unless you understand how to work the brushes, they are spring loaded.

In the center of the starter is where your positive wire from the battery is connected. You need to disconnect that cable. Make sure both battery cables are disconnected before you do this work.

After you have everything disconnected, the head of the starter will only have a spindle on it, with splined teeth. It will match back up to the starter assembly when you put one back in........:cheers:

Right, things have gone from bad to worse.
Have got the starter out but the ali shoulder with the 2 rubber seals has snapped and stayed in the engine.
I,ve got a feeling that this has been done previously and stuck back with an epoxy cement.
The break between the starter and shoulder is dirty and not fresh as you would expect.
Any ideas on how to remove this, it is well stuck.

I think that you will have to pull the engine or at least remove the flywheel cover to drive it out from the inside.

Chester

I see where you have the two allen head bolts out but you don't mention that you got the bracket nut off. The bracket on the back side of the starter is additional support. If you did not remove this, it's your hold up. The engine does not need to be removed to get the starter off. It would have to be removed if you needed to get at the starter drive assembly. You'd have to remove the magneto flywheel. The starter gear assembly sits behind it.

So, to double check, you have a total of "3" retainers holding the starter on.:cheers:

These starters only have 2 bolts on the rear bracket that secure it to the engine, not 3.

Chester

Old threads....

These starters only have 2 bolts on the rear bracket that secure it to the engine, not 3.

Chester

Oh why I hate these older threads.... When I first viewed this, I was in a manual and for some reason or the other, was looking at the setup kin to the 787 where you have the two bolts in from the front of the mag cover and a nut that holds the rear of the starter for support.

So, yes, even as you look at the link I posted in reply #3, the parts index shows both these bolts and bracket that hold this starter in place. It then just slides into the mag cover casing and is sealed by the 0-rings of the starter head.

So, good catch Chester.

No Jayele.... if you can somehow take a pix and attach it, it would better explain your position but I think Chester is right. If something was rigged, it will need to be fixed right. Don't use JB weld on a starter.......:cheers:

When I got the starter off there was water inside it would this be the reason for it starting to fail,
Im presuming they are meant to be water tight

Trying to download a picture but think its too large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back