2000 GTX Exhaust Leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Premium Member
Premium Member
Did a top end, rebuilt the carbs(Back to OEM), new fuel selector, new fuel lines, new fuel filter Oring, cut back spark plug wires, new spark plugs, fresh oil and premix 50:1 with oiler for break in. Cranked right up after about 6 attempts. Starts every time and revs great. Problem
Is I have exhaust leak where the two big pipes meet. I cleaned all the mating surfaces and sprayed copper sealant on the metal gasket. Should I have done something else in addition to seal those pipes or do I just not have them butted up against each other correctly? Thanks for any suggestions.

The joint is not easy to align I use a thick coat of copper RTV for assembly. Before hand I remove the metal copper gasket and clean all that stuff up real good. I leave all the bracket bolts loose so I can move it around. After the clamp is snug I use a mirror and a flashlight to make sure the clamp is the same uniform distance from the pipe. The design is chickenshit. The lip needed to be deeper. Before I'd disassemble it, I'd make sure it isn't leaking from any place else. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Thanks. That’s the only spot I see. It’s puddling like a pipe there. I’ll loosen up
The exhaust mounts and check everything with a mirror like you said. I used the copper spray, but should I put a layer of the orange gasket maker around the mating surfaces too?

Thanks. That’s the only spot I see. It’s puddling like a pipe there. I’ll loosen up
The exhaust mounts and check everything with a mirror like you said. I used the copper spray, but should I put a layer of the orange gasket maker around the mating surfaces too?
The spray isn't thick enough for me. The orange stuff is good. Copper is higher temp. Make sure the gasket and surfaces are very smooth. :)

Got it all buttoned up. Much easier if you have a second person. I just loosened all the mounts and had to put a small block of wood under the cone portion of the exhaust to raise it up and both ends of the exhaust bases mated perfectly. I secured the large clamp and then re-installed all the mount bolts before beginning to tighten them down. I'll fire it up Sunday and check for leaks.

Calling it good. No more exhaust leaks. Time to inspect the wear ring and impeller, change nose cone oil. The rest is cosmetics. PO took a Sawsall and cut out an entire section of hull to access the carbs. Got it refiberglassed on the inside. Gotta fill in the gaps on the exterior, glue the missing Millennium Edition chrome letters back on and begin wet sanding the hull. Seat covers also and it will be water ready.

Lotta work but that's how you bring em' back from the dead. :) Can you buy the chrome letters? I think those look so cool but I haven't found any place to get them. Pictures would be cool !! Good Luck !!

There ya go. LOL I got two like that sorta. One is a DI other is a Carb. Working on the Carb one now among "many" other things. LOL Good Luck and have fun with it !!

I also have a 98 GTX. Replaced all of fuel system. Waiting on the OEM carb rebuild kit. Ski only had 100 hours on it. Really clean.28e6d9c69f674f21e53820ed6225ee00.jpg

My first 951 engine I worked on was a 1998 just like that one. I have one in the yard in my todo pile. LOL Very nice looking skis and got some good GRUNT too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back