1999 Sea Doo GTX RFI - Exhaust gasket spraying water!!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIBoater

So the new engine is in and she started first crank… HOWEVER, when I connected the town water, the exhaust gasket started spraying water out of the top… I have lost count of how many times the exhaust has been on and off this machine and I never had this issue… the only thing I can think of is that, when I was trying to clean everything up and clean all the mating surfaces as I put the ski back together, I removed (scraped off), what looked like and aluminum gasket… other than that I put Loctite 518 gasket maker on both surfaces and put a brand new paper gasket on… it’s hard to torque the bolts down super tight, but I did what I could (max) with an Allen key… any thoughts/ideas as to how to stop this? Do I need another aluminum gasket as well as the paper one?… double/triple gaskets?… black gasket maker instead of red?… thanks in advance for all the help as always!l

Remove the pipe,,,clean both sides to bare metal,,,make sure the 2 other exhaustpipe brackets are holding the pipe and reducing stress at the head pipe flange,,,there should be no stress at the head pipe,,,or,,,the head pipe gasket will leak,,,or,,,you will strip off or shear a head pipe bolt….apply no sealer at alll…it can make the gasket “squeeze” out of its intended position,

Remove the pipe,,,clean both sides to bare metal,,,make sure the 2 other exhaustpipe brackets are holding the pipe and reducing stress at the head pipe flange,,,there should be no stress at the head pipe,,,or,,,the head pipe gasket will leak,,,or,,,you will strip off or shear a head pipe bolt….apply no sealer at alll…it can make the gasket “squeeze” out of its intended position,
Thanks… I read somewhere that some people put more than one gasket in?… when installing the exhaust I always start by connecting the head pipe, then secure the pipe to the brackets afterwards, so the exhaust is torqued to the head pipe first then the support brackets just support… will try what you suggest, no sealer and super-clean mating surfaces… thanks

Never use 2 gaskets. The gasket doesn’t require any sealer.

Get all the bolts in and barely hand tight. Then snug up the flange a little first and work your way around a little at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back