2000 GTX air compressor confusion

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjhans

I bought a 2000 GTX DI millennium edition with a just rebuilt engine. To make a long story short, the air line for the oil pump goes to a port at the bottom of the air compressor cylinder. Is this right? In the sea Doo service manual it says it should go to the air compressor supply.
I also have a hose from the oil tank neck that the service manual says "from air compressor (return line)." just laying on the bottom of the hull and no obvious place for it to go.
Does anyone know where these hoses go?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I dunno yet but I'm gonna be right with you in a couple of days. Almost ready to install the engine in a 2003 GTX DI I'm not certain this is correct either. LOL Just so happens I got a 03 RX DI outside to look at plus a lot of pictures I took.GTX DI Engine Prep 9-27-19 (1).JPEG

Thanks etemplet, those are the oil pump hoses I was talking about. Just like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.if you have any more I would love to see them. By the way that engine looks great.

Perhaps this will help to some extent. When I install the engine I"ll take some pictures to document.

Attachments

• GTX DI Air Pump lines (1).JPEG
    GTX DI Air Pump lines (1).JPEG
    219.7 KB · Views: 86
  • GTX DI Air Pump lines (2).JPEG
    GTX DI Air Pump lines (2).JPEG
    116.1 KB · Views: 81
  • GTX DI Air Pump lines (3).JPEG
    GTX DI Air Pump lines (3).JPEG
    159.6 KB · Views: 76
  • GTX DI Air Pump lines (4).JPEG
    GTX DI Air Pump lines (4).JPEG
    165.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1706.JPEG
    IMG_1706.JPEG
    167.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1720.JPEG
    IMG_1720.JPEG
    865.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1721.JPEG
    IMG_1721.JPEG
    921 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1722.JPEG
    IMG_1722.JPEG
    786.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the pictures.
In the first picture you sent of the newly rebuilt engine, what does the line that goes in right under the air compressor do?

Thank you so much for all the pictures.
In the first picture you sent of the newly rebuilt engine, what does the line that goes in right under the air compressor do?

That was an enigma for me as well. I followed it up to the front of the ski. towards the oil tank. I'll post up when I find out exactly where it ends up. I"m sure glad I'm taking the time to verify all these lines and fittings. Don't forget the crankcase ventilation fitting and the hose that connects to it. Check that the very small hole is clear. If you have any other questions ask now before I forget. LOL

I tried to take some pictures but it was point less to me because I couldn't follow the line to the destination.

it ends at the oil filler neck. It's an oil return line, and it's important that you use the correct clamp (not just a zip tie) as that is under pressure from the air compressor.

I found some pictures you posted on your thread about the GTX project and it looked like the line from under the air compressor went to the oil pump

I found this picture luckily. This is when I removed the engine. Kinda dirty but you can see the zip ty on the black line below the air compressor. That is the one I am referring to. I believe it is nearly impossible to connect this line with the engine already in place. This line.... goes all the way up front and plugs into the oil filler neck.IMG_1725.JPEG

No wonder I couldn't find where it was supposed to go to. I'll bet it was forgotten before they got the engine in so they just left it. How important is it that it is hooked up?

Can you see it? It might be hooked up. When I bench primed the oil lines on the DI, oil flowed from the bottom (The fitting in the picture). It won't be pretty if that isn't hooked up.. Messy but might not affect performance

Yeah it's laying on the bottom of the hull.

I can't tell from the picture,is the line coming from the crank case or the counter balance shaft case?

In the service manual it says that line is "from air compressor (return line)". Do you think it's possible that is a misprint?

There is only one fitting down there like that and it is the return line. The line is part of the lower case as is the air compressor.

Here's the only photo I have showing that line/fitting. It is on the bottom of the counterbalance shaft cavity under the air compressor. The oil pump delivers oil to the air compressor piston too, but since it isn't consumed, it has to go back to the tank. It returns oil (and air) to the oil tank filler neck, the oil drips back down a check valve into the tank and the air goes back to the throttle body.

However, now that I think about it, would it be more correct to say that the throttle body sucks air through its line, and via the oil filler neck, also through the return line, bringing the "used" oil back from underneath the air compressor piston? And it wouldn't be under air compressor pressure?

2019-10-12 19_10_40-IMG_20190708_190344.jpg

2019-10-12 19_13_28-IMG_20190801_155632.jpg

I just got the engine out and I see what you mean about not getting the line on with the engine in. I'm in the process of cleaning the bilge before I start putting it back together.

I assumed that the air compressor was lubricated with the counter balance oil since it is driven by the counter balance shaft.

Thanks statikuz that explains a lot of questions I had about how the system works because like I said before I thought the air compressor was lubricated by the counter balance shaft oil.

When I bought the GTX the return line from the air compressor was connected to the counter balance case vent, so if the throttle body sucks the oil from the air compressor, do you think that it sucked oil out of the counter balance case? And since it was ridden with out the air compressor return line connected to the engine could it injest water into the air compressor and pump water into the injection system?

after about 15 minutes of riding it would miss and sputter over half throttle but idle and light throttle fine. When checking the spark plugs I found water in the cylinders and on the rave valves, so I assumed that the head gasket on the air compressor was leaking, after taking the air compressor apart there was water in the air compressor cylinder also. But if water can thru from the return port that would explain where the water came from.

Do you think it could cause any serious damage to the engine?

It could damage the engine but I wouldn't rebuild anything without cause.

On the Air compressor I'd just do a pressure check. When I was priming my oil pump lines and the line going to the air compressor oil came out of the bottom. With that in mind, as long as the oil coming out is under pressure water would have a difficult time getting in though that hole. If you're getting water into the cylinders than certainly it can get into the bottom of the engine and perhaps into the air pump.

I do a compression check, fog the heck out of it and do some riding.

I just installed an SBT 951 engine in a 2002 GTX DI. I'm having some trouble with the lines that were laying in the hull myself. Can someone tell me where the line from the air compressor goes to in this picture20200926_174201.jpg20200926_174201.jpg

I just installed an SBT 951 engine in a 2002 GTX DI. I'm having some trouble with the lines that were laying in the hull myself. Can someone tell me where the line from the air compressor goes to in this pictureView attachment 51782View attachment 51782
Youa are approaching this in the correct way.... ASK, then still check. Be careful careful careful. It took about 10 seconds of being in the water for it to shear the bolt on the air pump. I had the waterline conncted to the wrong fitting. Check, check, then check again. The ski ran fine in the driveway.... once in the water and started.. Dead !! Good Luck !!

Last edited:
Youa are approaching this in the correct way.... ASK, then still check. Be careful careful careful. It took about 10 seconds of being in the water for it to shear the bolt on the air pump. I had the waterline conncted to the wrong fitting. Check, check, then check again. The ski ran fine in the driveway.... once in the water and started.. Dead !! Good Luck !!

Thank you. Man I'm sure trying. I've been on it for 3 weeks. Everytime I think I've got it I realize I don't. I pick a hose and look over the diagram and trace it down. I started with zero experience a hull full of unfamiliar lines and hoses and a new engine with lots of parts to swap over. Pulled the engine back out 3 seperate times and just started over. Probably still gonna change (learn how to) both throttle cables and how to adjust those... but I think I'm close. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back