RXDI air compressor line keeps bursting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Maximumquake

I have a 2001 RXDI that the line going from the air compressor to the rave valve solenoid keeps bursting right where it comes out of the air compressor. The motor heats up and then the line bursts. When it first happened I was riding in shallow water and I sucked up sand, shortly after my air compressor line burst. The ski did not overheat at anypoint and after the line burst, I rode the ski 20 miles back to the dock and it ran fine other than the rave valves didnt open.

I have replaced the line with oem line and when the ski is in the water as soon as the motor heats up the line melts and bursts. I have checked the main cooling line coming from the pump and its clear, the cooling lines going to the air compressor are clear. I took off the tuned pipe and the exhaust manifold water jacket and the tuned pipe water jacket were clear. I checked the main cooling line that goes into the head and it is clear. I have not taken the head off yet to see if there is a partial clog in the motor, but when hooked up to the hose there is a strong flow of water coming out of the jet pump. I thought a clog was causing the air compressor to over heat and make the line burst, but I cant find a clog. The water flow to the air compressor when the ski is in the water seems weaker than it should be.

I have taken the air compressor cap off and the piston and sleeve looked fine and had a generous amount of oil on them, so the air compressor is getting an adequate supply of oil.

This is driving me crazy trying to figure out why this line keeps bursting. What could be causing this to happen? The ski is not cavitating and the motor its self if not overheating. The only thing I havent did is measure the actual temperature of the air compressor when the line bursts, I will do that this weekend.

Are you sure the replacement hose is the correct spec? I recall that being pretty special (and pricey) stuff. If you are confident on that, I would pursue confirmation of cooling water going through the compressor. Pop off a cooling line and start it up quickly to make sure there is flow. Try this both on the garden hose and in the water as water flows in opposite directions in those 2 scenarios.

I would check the rave solenoid and make sure the lines are hooked up correctly and the vent line is clear. Your problem is strange based on my experience. A friend brought a 2003 RX DI over to me and the ski would only idle and not accelerate. What I found was the small line from the compressor to the rave was disconnected at the rave valve. Once I reinstalled and secured the line the ski ran fine. So i'm surprised that your ski ran normally with that line open ended. As @WaarrEagle suggests that line isn't run of the mill tubing. I never checked the pressure but I'd assume it is 80psi minimum based on the compressor out put. I would focus on the air flow through the system as well as verifying the cooling system.

Something to think about. If the compressor isn't losing volume and air pressure as a result of the discharge line being open something might be plugged. It doesn't take much of an air leak to cause fuel pressure to drop enough to affect engine performance. That open line, to me, should cause a big problem. Good Luck !!

I believe I ordered the replacement line off of seadoowarehouse so I would assume it is legit. But I bought nylon line as a replace that has a temp rating of 120c and a working pressure of 300. I am going to put that on tomorrow and if that lines blows there is a serious problem.

I can confirm water is going through the compressor when it is on the hose and in the water. While it is in the water at idle there is a weak stream of water going through the cooling line for the compressor. When the ski is running on the hose their is a strong stream of water going through the coolant lines for the compressor. The ski does not blow the lines while on the hose, it only does it while in the water.

The rave valves lines are hooked up properly and I believe i checked the vent line from the rave valve solenoid last year but I will recheck it to confirm. With this line blown the only issue I have is the ski will bog down and die while idling in the water after several seconds and the rave valves dont open. The ski runs fine once you give it gas, it accelerates like normal and it will get up to around 6600 rpms, just the rave valves dont open.

After installing the nylon line I took the ski out and it runs perfect again. Waarreagle you were right. The tubing I had I guess was not oem, but I did get it from a reputable supplier.

The line I ended up putting on was 4mm id nylon pneumatic line. It was a mission to heat it up to the point where it was soft enough that it would fit over the nippers. But once on it did the trick.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Back