2 stroke oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

moesonex

I just picked up a 2001 Challenger 2000. Can I use aftermarket 2 stroke Marine oil (Penzoil Marine) or do I have to use the OEM Seadoo oil?
Thanks

As long as it meets the requirements for ROTAX engines. This is what the manual says.
High quality low ash API TC injection oil for 2-stroke engines can be
used if BOMBARDIER-ROTAX injection oil is not available.

Never use 4-stroke petroleum or synthetic motor oil and never
mix these with outboard motor oil. Do not use NMMA TC-W, TC-W2 or TC-W3 outboard motor oils or other ashless type 2-stroke oil. Avoid mixing different brands of API TC oil as resulting chemical reaction may cause severe engine damage.

You make the call, there are a lot of opinions on this subject. Me, personally, use the Seadoo XP-S fully synthetic oil and nothing else since my engine rebuild.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Out of curiousity, what should I be paying for the Seadoo oil?
I got a price of about $45 for a gallon from a Seadoo dealer. Have you used the Quick Silver 2 strpke oil?

Yes, that's all I burn. It was just retail at my local seadoo dealer. That is here in Florida...

Karl

How long does the oil last?
As you can tell by questions, I am a new jet boat owner.
I was told 2-3 fuel tank fulls.

I use it in my 1997 challenger single 110 hp and it lasted like 4 tanks of fuel at 27 gallons per tank. Just grab a gallon and see how long it lasts. It really depends on how you ride your machine. It has a Variable Rate Injector System. The oil injector varies the injector oil based on rpm range. The higher the rpm the more oil injected.

Karl

You have to remember that here in Florida, its a year round business. I have heard some members pay as much as $55.00 a gallon. Use the phone and just call around.

Karl

I will do that.
I have another question. I bought a fish finder and mounted the transducer next to the drain plug. Do you know if the the exhaust will effect the readings?

It shouldn't... I perfer to mount the transducer inside so it doesn't get knocked off. I use a depth finder on all my Jet Boats too, inside 2 part epoxy works great.

Karl

Does your challenger 2000 have the rotax engine or does it have a mercury engine? It will use different oil for one than the other. I think rotax uses API-TC and mercury uses TC-W3, but your manual will tell you better.

EDIT: I just checked your operator's guide, you've got a mercury marine engine. From *your* manual:
Use Quicksilver or Mercury Precision Premium-Plus lubricants NMMA/BIA certified TC-W3 2-cycle outboard oil or equivalent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that to put it inside, there's alot more preperation.

uh ...you scuff the location, wet the area, either flood the bottom or use a plastic bag and insert it in it. Set it in place to see if it shoots through the hull... then dry the area, use 2 apart epoxy to glue it to the bottom. I would rather do that then drill a 1/2 hole in the Hull and screw it in place, and knock it off the first time it hits something. Takes me about 15 minutes...done.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back