1999 XP Limited Won’t Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison72

So recently my 1999 XP Limited had a hole in the bottom and filled up with water. I got the water out and got it out of the engine to. The plugs are dry. Now when I try to turn it over it only makes 1 click, or beeps and clicks as I hold the ignition. Any ideas on what’s wrong and how to fix it? Thanks

Did you run it after you got the water out? If not and there was water in the crank case, the engine has probably rusted solid thus causing that click from the starter not being able to turn the engine over.

Did you run it after you got the water out? If not and there was water in the crank case, the engine has probably rusted solid thus causing that click from the starter not being able to turn the engine over.
I tried but it wouldn’t turn over, only kick water out when the plugs weren’t in it

I just got inside it and the pistons are rusted, is there anything I can do to free them or is the engine gone?6265AD35-D8E1-4546-8A26-DDEE0491DAE3.jpeg7AA9BA21-083D-4FD7-A66B-C14A915EFBE6.jpeg

How many hours are on the ski. If you're at or near 200 is time for a full rebuild anyway.

Just me talking out loud...put it back together, pour a little Marvel Mystery oil into the spark holes and crank away....if it’ll even crank. Have you opened up the electrical boxes and cleaned any water in there? I sank my ski and the rear electric box was full of water....which means the solenoid and ignition coil were soaked and the starter too and all the wiring and cables....you probably also have corrosion issues with the harness connections...,time to start taking connections apart and cleaning/drying things. My ski was underwater for an indefinite period of time btw....sometime between Nov 2017 and April 2018, she fell out of her cradle and into the water....thank goodness no structural damage so that probably meant she hit water and not ice. It was suspended in a cradle in my boathouse with drain plugs open.
FYI....the ski is all fixed and running better than ever as of last week.

Just me talking out loud...put it back together, pour a little Marvel Mystery oil into the spark holes and crank away....if it’ll even crank. Have you opened up the electrical boxes and cleaned any water in there? I sank my ski and the rear electric box was full of water....which means the solenoid and ignition coil were soaked and the starter too and all the wiring and cables....you probably also have corrosion issues with the harness connections...,time to start taking connections apart and cleaning/drying things. My ski was underwater for an indefinite period of time btw....sometime between Nov 2017 and April 2018, she fell out of her cradle and into the water....thank goodness no structural damage so that probably meant she hit water and not ice. It was suspended in a cradle in my boathouse with drain plugs open.
FYI....the ski is all fixed and running better than ever as of last week.
I started to check some of the electrical and most seemed dry, I found this rust destroyer from loctite I’m going to put in the crankcase and hope that frees them up

After getting new plugs, cleaning out the crankcase, drying it out, and charging the battery, it is finally up and running again. I want to thank all of you guys for your help and advice. Thanks!

After getting new plugs, cleaning out the crankcase, drying it out, and charging the battery, it is finally up and running again. I want to thank all of you guys for your help and advice. Thanks!

You people that get your flooded rusted engines back up and running by only spraying WD 40 everywhere, I wouldn't travel too far out on the water, it just may lock up sooner than later on you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back