1998 XP LIMITED 951 taking on water/ electrical issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Privateer

So I just picked up an end of summer project a 1998 Sea-Doo XP LIMITED it has sat for the last couple
Years stored. I have never owned a seadoo or any jet pump related toys... And there's a good reason for not owning bombers. This thing is a nightmare to work on. If only I had the hands of a 7 year old.

Now that my rant is over I have some questions. Ill start off with the basics. I have been doing lots of reading on here I have 4 problems

1 - the seadoo takes on a massive amount of water when riding. At a stand still no water Enters the hull that I could see after sitting for about ten minutes, at home on the hose/ turned off (motor not running) sat for ten minutes... Again no water. Motor running on the hose again ten minutes. Still no leaks. Backed the ski into the lake so the jet pump is submerged started the seadoo on the trailer for 5 mins at idle/ didn't want to juice it and have it try to run off the front of the trailer again can't see any amount of significant water coming from anywhere.

Unload the ski and go for a rip about ten mins and the hull is completely full of water to the point the seadoo
Becomes off balanced and tips buddy drown the motor... So long story short we have a leak and the bilge is not working properly

Assessment : anti siphon tubes behind impeller are missing
Carbon ring is possibly to blame

Hear lots of arguing weather or not the 98 xpl used a Carbon ring or a different wear
Bushing can't remember it's exact name

I'm assuming if its carbon ring or drive shaft water should have entered while idling on the trailer in the water from behind the seat post at the drive shaft boot... It did not. So I'm hoping its just the siphon tubes

the bilge pump doesn't work... Removed it. Connect to direct dc 12v and it pumps like a boss. From what I have read there is a small box that controls the automation on the pump I have heard a a few locations. I found it attached to the big box at the front with the solenoid in it. It's attached to the outside of the box I
Can't for the life off me find a fuse box location for the 2.5a fuse the bilge says it runs on

There is a fuse location in the front of the seadoo near the top of the engine bay... VTS FUSE/BATT FUSE/MPEM and 3 spare fuses no bilge fuse I hear its in the mpem box under a grey cover. I don't see it battery cables spark plug wires solenoid that's about it.? Any help would be much appreciated

Vts does not work. Fuse is burnt and immediately burns out when replaced don't even need to push vts switch just push the fuse in and it pops instantly. Disconnect the battery replace the fuse as soon as battery is plugged back in it burns out instantly no need to touch vts buttons or even put the key in. Motor is bone dry and looks brand new no water enters the vts housing someone please help me find this circuit board so I can test it!

Oil light came on after he rolled it over wont go off. I'm assuming its a d.e.s.s key reset that needs to be done but is there a way I can do it myself

When it went down

Upright it pulled it in with the boat, trailered it, pulled the plugs.. drained the seadoo. brought it home pulled the sparkplugs throttled to the bar with the key in battery on to put the seadoo into drowning mode turn the motor over fired the water out sprayed it with wd... got bombardier lube in the morning from the dealer sprayed the cylinders and intake while cranking seadoo replaced the plugs turned over like a dream

Any input greatly appreciated

First.... Seadoo's aren't any harder to work on than any other PWC. BUT... you bought a parabolic hull, and there isn't much room because of the spring seat design. So... you can't blame that on the ski. You could have just as easily bought a GTX.

To your Questions:

1) Simple. If you found the tube in the pump to be missing... that's your problem. They create a siphon as the water rushes past. If they aren't there... the opening is now in the "Pressure" section of the pump, and the water is being pushed in. It's how it works in any manufactures siphon system.

Once that's fixed, it will suck out the water, and the electric pump isn't as big of a factor. (but should be fixed)

As an FYI... the small hatch on the rear is a known place for water to come in. SO... make sure the seal around it is good.

2) I'm not sure where they hid the fuse for that. But, it may be in line somewhere. Hopefully Sabertoothsquirel will chime in.

3) DO NOT KEEP PUTTING FUSES IN THERE !!!!!!!!!!!! Burnt out VTS units are KNOWN to take out the MPEM !! (the computer) The problem with the VTS is that the boots will rip. and water gets into the motor. In turn it shorts out. Now... if someone keeps trying to put fuses in it (without fixing the problem)... the first thing to burn up is the control board. Once that's burnt... it will instantly burn fuses. SO... that's Old damage, and it's totally gone. You will need to find a replacement unit.

4) If the oil tank was low.... it may take the sender a little while to reset. (Kind of normal) Also... I'm not sure when your light would come on... but in my 96 XP... the light will come on around 1/4 tank. But... since it was a total roll-over... and the ski is new to you.... make sure you didn't get water into the oil tank. If you did... it will go directly to the bottom, and into the oil injection pump. SO... check the hose close to the pump.

Let me first say that I mean no disrespect to the sea doo fans all small engines and vehicles are a pain I just find watercraft to be exceptionally painful, coming from street bikes dirt bikes and quads having to cram my fat fingers into a hole of an opening just to get at a motor or fuel line is new to me, that being said I wouldn't buy a ski that was not bombardier I just usually Don't buy skis haha.

As to the VTS I burnt two fuses while troubleshooting I did not continue to do so, I wanted to come here with some ammunition I'm a do it yourself kind of guy sometimes you troubleshoot the wrong way but it seems my MPEM is fine. But thanks for the heads up!

As for the boot it's fine... No water enters the vts housing. I have read there is a circuit board somewhere I can test with a multimeter I just can't seem to find it

The rear hatch does get submerged a lot and the seal looks to be very good

No water is in the oil can but it is near 1/4 ill try filling it

Thanks for all your input!

fill the oil tank. now you know your light works :) generally if you ride sideways or upside down as I often do, the light will come on.

the 951 engine REQUIRES the correct oil. Generally XPS-II oil. DO NOT run anything that's not XPS-II or equivalent.

using the wrong oil will destroy that engine.

the fuse to the bilge pump is in the MPEM. it is grounded in the electrical box up front. 2.5 amps, i think 3rd one up from the bottom.

test it by removing the key, and pressing start. the pump should spin, then stop if it finds no water.

you can do a leak check by tilting the ski back on the trailer, and slowly filling the hull with water from a hose, with the drain plugs IN.

if the ski holds water IN, it should hold water OUT.

only fill the ski deep enough for testing. do not allow the engine to go under water...

if the ski holds water on land, start the engine with water still in the hull, ensuring the carbon ring / seal is under water inside the hull.

if the spinning of the shaft causes the water level to go down, you could be losing water at this section.

you may need to unplug the electric pump for this test, as if the engine is running, that pump will be moving 500 GPH out of the hull.

with the way the XP rides, you NEED that pump to be working. I love my XP, and hope to pickup another just for fun.

if it leaks while on the trailer, from the carbon ring setup, a new ring and SS I'll call it 'washer' are about $20-40 each.

I don't personally put used parts on my XP if I can avoid it, but technically these things rarely wear out.

Finally, if you have the grey tempo fuel lines, they will need to be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just picked up an end of summer project a 1998 Sea-Doo XP LIMITED it has sat for the last couple
Years stored. I have never owned a seadoo or any jet pump related toys... .......And there's a good reason for not owning bombers. This thing is a nightmare to work on. If only I had the hands of a 7 year old..........
Now that my rant is over I have some questions. Any input greatly appreciated

The reason it's hard to work on is that you bought a small ski with the biggest 2 stroke motor BRP makes.
I have 2....a 96 GTX with the 787 in it.....roomier, but still a bit tight in some areas but a lot easier to work on than my 99 GSX w/a 951 in it, & I have small arms/hands too.

Put the vts on direct 12 v motor is fine. Must be the control circuit board... 360$ from seadoo anyone know where I can get one cheaper?

I really didn't mean to offend the seadoo community but working on a pwc compared to my quad or a dirt bike is a pain. Bit I'm learning lots. It's good.

As for the mythical wrench to take off the 4th exhaust bolt shaved flat And bent at 15* my dealer does not have them cannot get them and the mechanics don't even have one haha
Custom build for the win

My bad. The 99-02 have the fuse in the MPEM. I would get the 98 FSM and see where it takes you.

Since you are dealing with so many, seperate issues, you may want to break this into more specific threads.

As for the wrench, you can make them or buy them online. However, even though I own said wrench, you don't need it. Remove the carbs and you can fit a 15mm open end on it no problem. Then install pipe, then carbs.

What's that grey wired box up front? The 98 was the first run of the 951. (Ignoring the white 951, for all those who would correct me lol). There were several changes to 99.

Minitoka has lots of used parts. I'm sure he or eBay can hook you up. Having a working trim makes the ski more fun, but really you can live without it.

I got one a few months ago from him, Nick minnetonka4me in Minnesota.

Calling [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back