1997 xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

spainhour5

Bought 97 XP and took it to the lake seemed to run good for about 30 min or so, just wouldn't go past 50. Then the ski started to lose power (cut out) at full throttle. Stopped for about 10 minutes and it started to run good for a little while and started acting up again. This progressed to the point where it wouldn't run but a few seconds and cut off. Got it home looked at the power valves and one if not both where messed up, have ordered parts for them. Don't think that the power valves was the only issues, so I have looked and I think that maybe the rectifier could be acting up? Am I on the right track or is there other things I should look at?
Thanks

What you are describing is an engine that was over heating. So... does your beeper work?

Before you buy a regulator/rectifier... have you checked the compression?

What was wrong with the RAVE's? (power valves)

I did think about it over heating and felt the engine and it didn't seem to hotter than normal, but no the beeper doesn't work and have order one. The compression was just over 150 on each before taking it out. One rave valve the rubber boot was off all together and the other the plastic part that the valve connects to was cracked.

I would also look for a exhaust leak...Exhaust chokes out the motor, then after it clears out from sitting it will run good for awhile then choke out again... Just my thoughts though LOL!!

The problem you had with the RAVE would definitely describe the "not going over 50" symptom. Does this sea-doo still have the gray fuel lines? If so, they need replacing and the carbs need to be gone through.

1) not sure it goes much faster than 50-53 with a 787... am i wrong ?

2) lesson to learn here, if your engine stalls, that's the indication of a problem, you should have headed to the ramp immediately and look into the problem, don't keep riding !

2) lesson to learn here, if your engine stalls, that's the indication of a problem, you should have headed to the ramp immediately and look into the problem, don't keep riding !

Absolutely. No over temp warning, and a stalling engine. Should have headed home.

You will need to re-check the compression. Numbers from before the problem don't count.

You say "1997 XP" but your photo is of a '96... is that intentional?

I just want to make sure we are working under the correct info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did recheck compression and it is the same as before just over 150. I’m not that knowledgeable on seadoo’s but I know with the last boat I had that if it over heated it would go into a limp home mode and would cut power until the engine cooled down. It would only at full throttle act like you was letting on and off the gas but would run all day at half or below. So I did start to make my way back to the dock and that’s when it would start to die, from which I towed it back in. I do have the gray fuel lines so will work on changed those out. It is a 1997, old pic just haven’t changed it out.

i'm still curious on the 97 wishbone hull with a 787....

is this supposed to go over 50 or low 50's ? assuming we're talking bone stock here.

i have the same ski but i am curious what its top speed is. i will find out early june when i put it in again. last time i was breaking in the engine so i couldnt get top speed.

the 97 is a bit heavier

From my research and from previous owner these skis will do over 60.

i have the same ski but i am curious what its top speed is. i will find out early june when i put it in again. last time i was breaking in the engine so i couldnt get top speed.

the 97 is a bit heavier

the 97 is a bit heavier, and has more wetted area than the x4 hull 96, but honestly i prefer the ride on the wishbone to the x4 (blasphemy i know). if i were just going to be jumping waves, i'd have an x4 though. the top speed of the wishbone is 1-2 mph less than the x4 XPs at around 55-56, but still plenty fast for me. i have a solas concord in mine so it picks up that 1 or 2 missing mph of top end, but its still not going to break 60mph with the stock motor.

I owned 2 1997 XPs a couple years ago. Both bone stock. 53 in choppy lake water and almost 57 on water like glass. My 99's only hit 63. On a good day.

the 787 wasn't enough for that hull. Mine has hit 68.8 down river on GPS. and will average 65 WOT all day. GPS verified.

ONLY mod is 1. new engine (lol), and 2. super clean.... 3. Solas Concord. That's IT. it's ALL OEM.

The 96' 787, does about 56-58mph stock, so I'm assuming the 97 should be pretty close??!

wow, everybody seems to run faster than me.. i "think" the best I did stock (zero elevation) was around 53 on my 96. i'm at 60 now but it wasn't free, cost me a couple hundred. Are these quotes via gps ?

I owned 2 1997 XPs a couple years ago. Both bone stock. 53 in choppy lake water and almost 57 on water like glass. My 99's only hit 63. On a good day.
I agree with MK here. I have owned my 97 (787) since new. Have raced others and have checked speed with GPS. He is dead on here. The limited's, which came out in '98, is a different story, They will run 60-65. In regards to comparing to the X4 '96 model, I have raced them and have been dead even mostly. I actually faired a little better when chops entered the equation and will pull slightly ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back