1997 GTX Intermittent no start voltage from battery drops when revved

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

diver511

Had the first real problem with our GTX since we bought it new at the dealership. It is a 1997 GTX Last fall it died on the lake with a few friends. I put the key on and nothing, no chirp or gaugesm repeted over 20 times. It finally came back and ran so we could get it on the trailer, it was stored and we got it out this year finally. Put the battery back in and it fired right up no problem. Thought great, maybe it was a loose battery cable last fall.

Took it out to the lake, it started up and ran beaultifully for about 10-15 minutes. I even shut it off and started it again removing the key with no signs of problem. Then went back out and it died while idling. It was not a loss of fuel, but an instant shut off. After that reinstalled key nothing, had my girlfriend repeat the process as I swam it to the trailer.

Today I pulled it out of the garage put the key on and it chirped 2 times like normal. then after a few times of removing it it would again not chirp or bring up the gauges.

With the key off the post if it is not chirping I can press the start button to light the gauges. Tried replacing the post with a new one, same symptoms.

I got my voltmeter and checked the battery which was new last year and load tested. It put out 12.39v I then finally got the ski to chirp and started it up running it to 5000-6000 rpm I saw voltage fluctuations down to 7 volts then back up to the 11 range.

I was hoping it would be pushing 15 or more, because that sounds like a common rectifier problem. I have also read about people having the ski run intermittently when the rectifier was failing. I am wondering if the low voltage can also be a sign of bad rectifier or if it a sign of a bigger charging problem.

Side note, for the past few years it has flashed 12v low, and we just put it on trickle charge and never had a single misstep with it figuring if the battery is turning it over and in the 12 range we should be fine.

I appreciate your input, and ideas. Thanks guys and gals!

Since you replaced the post already, have you bought a new DESS key and tried it out? This could solve the problem. Also check all your grounds to make sure they are not corroded or loose.

We have both original keys and the problem seems to be exactly the same with either key. What threw me for the loop was when it just shut off yesterday at the lake like it lost power. I will check the grounds to see if any are loose or corroded.

Check the connections from the post all the way to the mpem, you could have some corrosion in a connector causing intermittent issues. You could also have an issue with your regulator/rectifier it sounds like, which may or may not be related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back