1997 GTI 720 gauges quit subtle engine stumble

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhanratt

1997 Gti 720 runs well and was reliable last year and this year.

Last weekend the gauges went flaky. They all work well together and then all quit together. When they come back on the low oil and temp lights would come on briefly (no siren). I played around with the electrical and found the four wire plug on the front of the engine had some black crusty goop in it. I cleaned it and it rode it all day with no further issues so i figure I had it solved.

Today I took it out again and it fired right up but the gauges were dead. I tried the same plug to no change. I rode it about 4 fours with intermittent gauges because I needed it for work. Often when I hit a wave the gauges would all cut in and out together. Low oil and high temp would light briefly then go out without a siren. Stomping on the floor board (left) also seemed to make the gauges come on for a while before they went back out.

Tonight I checked the battery connections - Clean and tight.
Engine ground tight and clean.
Four wire plug at front of engine - tight and clean.
Wiggled all four wires individually and tugged on each no effect
Checked all plugs at the top of the storage bin - Clean and tight.
Checked all plugs at MPEM? - clean and tight.
Checked regulator / rectifier - loose - removed rectifier found it attached with a stainless wood screw. I expected an aluminum body like on my snowmobiles but it is plastic with an aluminum tube for the screw. tightened as much as I dared. I still turns but I'm worried about breaking the MPEM if I tighten it any further.
I Pulled the MPEM from bracket. Clean and tight. Date corresponds with machine. 1997-03.
I ran it on the hose in my driveway and it would not act up no matter what I did with the wiring - except disconnecting wiring harnesses.

Could it have been the loose rectifier? How tight can you tighten it before it strips?
This is a fresh water machine and all Wiring looks perfect so I am at a loss.

Any advice? I am thinking about opening the box on front of the engine and looking for corrosion next?

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Cleaning and tightening the “wood screw” “bolt” that holds the rectifier / regulator solved my gauge problem 100%. I now have two solid days ride time with no further gauge problems.

The engine miss is still there. I will post separately on that with plug images because i believe it is unrelated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back