1997 951 gsx limited engine life

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redrover

Hi new to the world of skis. I recently got a 1997 gsx 951. After much reading on this site IM questioning how the best way to tell if I should rebuild the motor this winter. It has the grey tempo lines that IM going to replace this winter and I'll rebuild the carbs and filters also. Is there an accurate way to tell if the motor needs rebuilding? It runs amazing the couple times I've had it out. It hits the RPM'S and speeds correctly for the year. I don't have any past maintenance info on the machine & it has about 200 hours on the meter. I am suspect that someone has done some motor work on it at some point being how immaculately clean everything is, along with a finger throttle lever and IM guessing aftermarket air cleaner. Is a compression check a good indicator or should I run it as is until something gives. Thanks Guys.

I see no one has replied yet so I will give it a go! I'm in the same boat (no pun intended but it is funny) I have two 2001 gtx's with about the same hours. I replaced the fuel lines, fuel selector switches, rebuilt the carburetors, replaced the oil lines and an oil pump on one of them. From what I have read, the 951's tend to "grenade at 250 hrs" I don't like the sound of that as both of mine have about 200 hrs. Both of my machines have 120 psi on each cylinder. At this point, it is what it is...What I mean by that is that I have done all the preventative maintenance that I can do, and I will run them until they don't run. I am using only sea doo oil and non-ethanol fuel. I do add Yama lube ring free as well because I have it. Hope this helps some :)

I would keep riding it as long as it is running normal, juts pay attention to any signs and make sure you are using the right oil mix. Check it out after reach ride and just be diligent with the maintenance.
You can do a compression check on the motor. This will give you a basic idea on how strong engine is. A new 951 will be around 150 psi, if you get around 120 or below performance starts to drop.

1997.5 GSX Ltd. Grey Ghost…..White motor. Carbs are set very lean.
You need to do some serious research on this one.
Seadoo had a lot of problems with warranty claims, hence the changes to silver motors.
Correct compression on 951 is 130 psi.
951s should be run on FULL synthetic oil ONLY

Last edited:
I called an engine shop a couple years ago regarding 120psi compression on a 951 DI. I was told 120psi is about half-life on a 951 and at the time the ski did run very well. Personally I just worry about a ring hooking a port with a high time engine so I just did the top end with the engine in the ski. New owner has been running the hell out of it for 2 years. Also I've talked to people about the 951 and other skis 200 hour time frame. The engines will go well past 200 hours if people take care of them which they don't. I just replaced the engine on a 310 hour DI. I don't believe they did proper maintenance regarding the oil in the counterbalance reservior. That should be checked every 50 hours of operation. That is probably HELL to check on a DI but I can get to it pretty easy on my RX Carb engine.

My recommendation is give the engine some love and you can make them last a few years for sure.

I have had 951's for 20 years. "I have read, the 951's tend to "grenade at 250 hrs" This is total fecal matter and is usually said by people that sell parts or work on them. I got more than 400 hours on one (I ran Sea Doo mineral oil in it), and disassembled a Di motor with 200+ hours. Not maintained at all by the owner. The big end bearing failed due to water ingestion and he also put ANY kind of oil available in it. That being said, the pistons were in GREAT shape, the other parts of the crank were well within specs, the compressor parts were like new.
I think 120 lbs is a little low. I would try another gauge to make sure.
Use the same oil, check the balance shaft cavity annually, pull the RAVES and check the piston skirts regularly, and keep doing good maintenance. It may go a LONG time! Good luck!

I called an engine shop a couple years ago regarding 120psi compression on a 951 DI. I was told 120psi is about half-life on a 951 and at the time the ski did run very well. Personally I just worry about a ring hooking a port with a high time engine so I just did the top end with the engine in the ski. New owner has been running the hell out of it for 2 years. Also I've talked to people about the 951 and other skis 200 hour time frame. The engines will go well past 200 hours if people take care of them which they don't. I just replaced the engine on a 310 hour DI. I don't believe they did proper maintenance regarding the oil in the counterbalance reservior. That should be checked every 50 hours of operation. That is probably HELL to check on a DI but I can get to it pretty easy on my RX Carb engine.

My recommendation is give the engine some love and you can make them last a few years for sure.
"That is probably HELL to check on a DI ..." Probably? It IS hell to check! You need a very small person that is double-jointed and is good using mirrors!

"That is probably HELL to check on a DI ..." Probably? It IS hell to check! You need a very small person that is double-jointed and is good using mirrors!
I always underestimate what I say on this board. If you say "It takes an hour" somebody will say, "It takes 58 minutes." LOL

I just had to change out oil line on a DI I just built (sob melted and fell apart, ruined the compressor) It was the one on the bottom of the compressor. I pulled the exhaust to get at it and still had trouble. The counterbalance reservoir cap was right there and I mused that it still was not easy to get to. I thought about this, which many might not agree, "Just add oil through vent line on the cap." I'd rather have tad too much than not enough.

That must have been an interesting adventure. How did you accomplish that?? A video would be cool, "no sound" if your're like me it won't be PG rated. Ha ha.

I see no one has replied yet so I will give it a go! I'm in the same boat (no pun intended but it is funny) I have two 2001 gtx's with about the same hours. I replaced the fuel lines, fuel selector switches, rebuilt the carburetors, replaced the oil lines and an oil pump on one of them. From what I have read, the 951's tend to "grenade at 250 hrs" I don't like the sound of that as both of mine have about 200 hrs. Both of my machines have 120 psi on each cylinder. At this point, it is what it is...What I mean by that is that I have done all the preventative maintenance that I can do, and I will run them until they don't run. I am using only sea doo oil and non-ethanol fuel. I do add Yama lube ring free as well because I have it. Hope this helps some :)
I also have 2001 gtx di and 100 hours and compression 135 after sitting 10 years hat to do a fuel pump and oil tank and now no charging and waiting on parts

"I have read, the 951's tend to "grenade at 250 hrs" This is total fecal matter and is usually said by people that sell parts or work on them. I got more than 400 hours on one (I ran Sea Doo mineral oil in it),
Well, I am glad to read that as well! I just had mine out for a few hours and they both ran great! I tried and failed to replace the counter balance oil on both of these. I used a 2oz syringe and small tubing, but I got nothing. I read that you don't want to just add more oil because it can cause overheating but now, I have read just the opposite. Any tricks for doing this procedure?

Hi new to the world of skis. I recently got a 1997 gsx 951. After much reading on this site IM questioning how the best way to tell if I should rebuild the motor this winter. It has the grey tempo lines that IM going to replace this winter and I'll rebuild the carbs and filters also. Is there an accurate way to tell if the motor needs rebuilding? It runs amazing the couple times I've had it out. It hits the RPM'S and speeds correctly for the year. I don't have any past maintenance info on the machine & it has about 200 hours on the meter. I am suspect that someone has done some motor work on it at some point being how immaculately clean everything is, along with a finger throttle lever and IM guessing aftermarket air cleaner. Is a compression check a good indicator or should I run it as is until something gives. Thanks Guys.
Been a sea doo tech since 92.the white motor was lean from the factory.what I did is opened up lows a half turn and the highs opened up a 1/2 turn.you don't need to run synthetic oil if you keep an eye on rave valves.i cleaned them at 10 hour service and then yearly.also turn up oil pump up a smigen.also I don't recommend running any ring free and etc.you don't need it.i would also recommend adding 1 Oz per gallon of 2 stroke in the fuel tank.wont hurt a thing nor lean out the jetting enough to do anything.and the last thing sea doo and myself recommend fogging the motor after every ride.i have 30 customers with the 951 motor all original never been apart except carbs every few years.they have an average of 350 hours

thank you brother

I have had 951's for 20 years. "I have read, the 951's tend to "grenade at 250 hrs" This is total fecal matter and is usually said by people that sell parts or work on them. I got more than 400 hours on one (I ran Sea Doo mineral oil in it), and disassembled a Di motor with 200+ hours. Not maintained at all by the owner. The big end bearing failed due to water ingestion and he also put ANY kind of oil available in it. That being said, the pistons were in GREAT shape, the other parts of the crank were well within specs, the compressor parts were like new.
I think 120 lbs is a little low. I would try another gauge to make sure.
Use the same oil, check the balance shaft cavity annually, pull the RAVES and check the piston skirts regularly, and keep doing good maintenance. It may go a LONG time! Good luck!
thank you

Been a sea doo tech since 92.the white motor was lean from the factory.what I did is opened up lows a half turn and the highs opened up a 1/2 turn.you don't need to run synthetic oil if you keep an eye on rave valves.i cleaned them at 10 hour service and then yearly.also turn up oil pump up a smigen.also I don't recommend running any ring free and etc.you don't need it.i would also recommend adding 1 Oz per gallon of 2 stroke in the fuel tank.wont hurt a thing nor lean out the jetting enough to do anything.and the last thing sea doo and myself recommend fogging the motor after every ride.i have 30 customers with the 951 motor all original never been apart except carbs every few years.they have an average of 350 hours
Thank you. I will start fogging the motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back