1996 Seadoo SPI 587 NO SPARK

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

noscivic01

so i bought this 96 spi and was told it was running last season but now it doesnt start. it cranks fine and is getting fuel just no spark. i replaced the CDI coil today and new plugs and still wont spark to plugs. Also there is a new starter button installed. When i put the lanyard key on there is no beep and also the fuel gauge doesnt move at all. Where are all the fuses so i can check them...i only saw 2 in the box in the front when i put the coil in. and what should i check next. I also checked for voltage coming from the stator that goes to the coil and its getting voltage when cranking. please help, im new to the jet ski thing.

voltage from/to the coil is "live", and installed new coil, but still no spark? Weird, clip the plug wires at boots ends 1/4in, and re-install, also put new plugs in.

voltage from/to the coil is "live", and installed new coil, but still no spark? Weird, clip the plug wires at boots ends 1/4in, and re-install, also put new plugs in.

i tried doing that also didnt work and the plugs are brand new. i see people say disconnect the black/red wire and try starting it to test a bad rev limiter...how do i do that. disconnect the wire to the coil? cause thats black/red

not at the coil, but the same wire, where it branches off to the "butt" connector. Unplug it there, then see what happens. If it fires up, then you'll need to choke the system out to kill the motor.

not at the coil, but the same wire, where it branches off to the "butt" connector. Unplug it there, then see what happens. If it fires up, then you'll need to choke the system out to kill the motor.

ok so disconnect the coil from the white connector? and then try and start it? if it starts then whats the probelm...the mpem?

UPDATE: removed black/red wire from the mpem and left the other connector in. Now the spark plug is sparking. BUT when I try n start it, it cranks n then stops completely. And when I remove the plugs from engine it cranks perfect. What does that mean? And do I need a new mpem?

ok the reason why it was not cranking was the battery was dying. put in a fresh battery and it started right up first shot. The MPEM is disconnected from the coil, and only the coil is connected to the harness. does this mean the MPEM is bad? is there a why to bypass this and wire up a new killswitch to ground out the coil to cut power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back