1996 GTI dieing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

matempl

End of last season my 96 gti died 3 times like I pull the plug. Then would start back up and run. Today I took out to see if problem was still active. After about 90 min of running it acted up. Just shuts off. Not like fuel but like pulling out the lanyard. If you try to restart you get one long beep. If you pull the lanyard and reinstall you get the 2 beeps and your off. A min or two it dies. Same deal over and over. Bad connection at the post? Bad mpem?
Any thoughts would be great.

Definitely looks like a bad DESS post. Had exactly the same issue last year. Also, check your key for the presence of metal flakes (clinker in English?) in it. Clean it if any (you will need compressed air). Also, try your second key if you have one to see if you have the same issue with it (I always use one key and try to spare one new one in case of issues).

Ok then to be safe a new key a new post and programming. Local dealer I’m sure will be expensive but probably is the easiest for programming. Otherwise I have to pull the mpem right.

Well, it depends. First, If you have only one key, then I would start by getting a second key (dealer will program it). Ask first if they have a key in stock (you could be surprised) before you go.

Second, try riding with second key to see if you have the same issue (I had). If you have, then it is most likely the DESS post. If not, your old key may have become worn out. Dealer might not be able to diagnose DESS if they have no access to water and since issue is intermittent.

Third, the post is quite easy to replace (and I am a novice at mechanics). About $100 to get.

I really doubt it is the MPEM.

I agree, the DESS posts do fail occasionally. You should be able to find a good used one relatively cheap on eBay or at Westside Powersports though.

Thanks for all the input guys. I talked to Nick at westside and as all of you stated it’s most likely a bad post or key. As it turns out my local dealer can’t do anything older than 2012. So to cover all bases I pulled the mpem and sending it to Nick and having 2 keys programmed and installing a new post. I’m hoping that will do it. Getting to close to my houseboat trip to mess around.

I am not surprised about the dealer as they do not want to touch any 2-stroke Sea-Doo with a 10 foot pole anymore...

But I am surprised about anything older than 2012. It shows all the confidence they have in their machines...

I am not surprised about the dealer as they do not want to touch any 2-stroke Sea-Doo with a 10 foot pole anymore...

But I am surprised about anything older than 2012. It shows all the confidence they have in their machines...
My local dealership wont service any carbed machines. Less business for them, more for the smaller guys.

The reality is almost all dealerships don’t have actual mechanics anymore. They have techs that can only fix or diagnose a vehicle if they can plug a computer in and it tells them what to do.

Carbs are becoming black magic and voodoo.

The reality is almost all dealerships don’t have actual mechanics anymore. They have techs that can only fix or diagnose a vehicle if they can plug a computer in and it tells them what to do.

Carbs are becoming black magic and voodoo.
all they do now in the collision industry is print alldata sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back