1999 GSX RFI times out and shuts down

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

larryb1963

my ski starts and runs fine. I noticed the tachometer does not show rpm . all functions on the gauge cluster work.the motor will restart with no issues. I think the MPEM thinks it's Not running but it is running good for about 20/30 seconds and shuts off . I see it does the exact same thing if the lanyard is connected and I don't start the motor after 20/30 seconds it times out . I clearly understand the time out with the motor NOT running to save the battery,but it also times out when it is running. I have looked over a schematic and think it's got to be an internal issue with the mpem being there is no relay or circuit shown for the lanyard time out .( shut down ) I also noticed that the start stop button will start the motor , but not stop it. the starter will grind. I have to pull lanyard to stop motor. (conclusion ) 1-no tachometer reading , 2-start stop button will not stop motor.

Put a new start button on and start there. I just went through a problem with a 2000 GTX rfi. checked everyting. Would run then would not go. Ended up being the computer.

I don't think the start button is bad being that it starts the ski fine .it is just stopping motor and it times out makes me think it is the ecm . I see them used on eBay BUT I don't understand why someone would remove the ecm to sell without the dess key ? I'm thinking maybe a defective ecm and sending it out to get programed would be an expensive long route to find it defective as well.

Better off buying a junk ski than pay the prices these criminals are asking. I just bought a RFI for $200. I stripped it. The engine has compression believe it or not. All I needed was the MPEM. I got too many parts now but this was pretty cool.

On a side note I wish I knew how to part this stuff out. I don't persue that option because I just think parting skis out would be a pain. I don't want to deal with the public. :)

I may take something. my good 2000 gtx 787 rfi was in for a tune up and they advise to rebuild engine . Said there was water and nasty oil in the power valve. Both my skis had 149 compression and both need new engines.

I may take something. my good 2000 gtx 787 rfi was in for a tune up and they advise to rebuild engine . Said there was water and nasty oil in the power valve. Both my skis had 149 compression and both need new engines.
Is this a joke?

Is this a joke?
One of them that would run good for the first 10 minutes out and then go into limp mode seized up. My other one wouldn't idle and plugs were oiling up. They advised a tear down. Even with 149 psi you can still have bad crank seals or other problems. What do you think . Should there be water in the power valve.

Water should not be anywhere in there unless you have a water leak. Just be careful with those people, they don't mind spending your money.

Back