1996 GTI and 1995 GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so having fun learning how to use a Multimeter and check on a couple other things. When I test the center of the post to the white gray wire it's a closed circuit, when I test the black to the Ring of the post it's a closed circuit but with the key on testing black to black yellow it is an open circuit when it should be closed. I did use the screwdriver jumping the solenoid trick and when I do that the engine comes to life. So either the dess post is bad or the mpem lost its program for the key. Is that a thing that can happen? I just got this module with the key from Minnetonka, and judging by his reputation on here I do not suspect an issue with the mpem. I have ordered a dess post and a buzzer, because I I'm not getting any beeps, so I missing that one useful diagnostic tool. It'll suck if the dess post was the problem all along and I didn't need to buy the mpem, but live and learn.

Looking for another suggestion for another issue, the front hood latch is broken on this ski, but I can't get it off. The nuts just spin freely so whatever housing they screw into is not seated anymore. Any suggestions and how to get this thing off, I already have a replacement on order

Attachments

• 15253898435498748605054217473250.jpg
    15253898435498748605054217473250.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
It was the post, put the new one n, everything checks out fine electrically, engine turns over. Is there a way to test an mpem without putting it in the ski? I'm wondering if the post was a problem entire time and I didn't actually have to replace the mpem

The GTI lives, starts right up now on the hose blew out any sediment in the exhaust sounds good runs as good as a GTX next up is a water test

The rave caps are adjustable and can be played with that stumbling on one ski sounds like them just starting to open. Try adjusting them and see where it changes. You can’t hurt anything by adjusting them just make sure they are the same on each cylinder.

The rave caps are adjustable and can be played with that stumbling on one ski sounds like them just starting to open. Try adjusting them and see where it changes. You can’t hurt anything by adjusting them just make sure they are the same on each cylinder.
mikidymac, I posted to the wrong thread so I deleted and reposted under my 1996 - 1997 GTX thread. Oops. :)

Okay, now that the GTI is running, I need to look at some cosmetic stuff. One issue is the most pressing, can anybody point me to some good fiberglass repair videos or threads for a hole this size. Do I need to take the hood off or can I work from the outside and Patch it and feather it the best I can.

Attachments

• 15257372985425238702710236054820.jpg
    15257372985425238702710236054820.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
Yes remove the hood. I'm not great fiberglass guy but I do all my own body work. I've repaired a lot of race bike fiberglass damage for sure. :) I think I'd try to find a used hood at a good price first but what you have is fixable but a lot of work.

Honestly that hood is too far gone to be worth the trouble. Fine a good used replacement.

I'm honestly not terribly concerned about the ascetics, if it runs reliably, and doesn't sink, I'm happy. I'm looking at prices for used hoods but may try a patch.

I do want to bring the issue with the latch up again. I reach inside the air intake hole and feel the circular fitting turning with the nut. Can't reach the fitting with pliers, can't get it to not spin. Any and all ideas are welcome

If you can’t get to the back your only option is to drill out the bolts. Good luck because they are stainless and work harden.

Solved 2 problems with one stone. While trying to get the bolts out from the latch, the hood broke off it the hinge, the hole and cracked part of the hood weakened the whole bottom of the hood. No choice but to get a new hood now anyway.

GTI is all back together, revinyled the seats, new buzzer, working gauge, etc... I'll switch up the skis on the stand and do a little work on the GTX and be ready to go on the first decent day.

Still wondering if there is a way to test if an MPEM is functional without installing it on a ski? Any testing with a multimeter, etc... Trying to see if I can make a little money back by selling it if it works, but don't want to put it back in the ski if I don't have to.

Question, I replaced the venturi on the 95 GTX. The one that was on it when I bought them last year did not have the attachment points for the reverse gate, even though the ski has the reverse capabilities. I wanted to add the reverse capability back onto the ski. I bought the venturi last year, got a used reverse gate, and spring, and getting the screws/washers today. I see there is supposed to be bushings, though, where the gate attaches to the venturi. I can't find them online, or find dimensions to look for suitable replacements. I've written to westside to see if they have them. As I wait for a reply, I thought I'd check here to see if any of you have any info. part # 271000152

Can anybody tell me what this is, I found it in the storage bin of the gti

Attachments

• 15265228689227270043494638846777.jpg
    15265228689227270043494638846777.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
I've got two nozzles here and don't see room for it. I do see it in the schematics now though. Guess I'll just leave it out.
Another question, on the 95 GTX, without the dess post, is the buzzer only an over heating alarm?

Pretty sure that adjusts the tilt of the steering nozzle.
Yes without DESS it’s just the overheating alarm.

Thanks, I'll check the gti and see if it's missing spacers or something.
Another question, I've got a nozzle with a vein and an Ozil without the vein as you can see in the picture. What kind of difference can I expect in their performance of the ski between them?

Attachments

• IMG_20180517_211329.jpg
    IMG_20180517_211329.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
So, to wrap this up for now, here are pics of the final product. Two jetski's, a 95 gtx and a 96 gti, with trailer, sitting in someones backyard for the last (at least) 7 years, bought for $1000. Brought back to life by someone who has never worked on an engine before, let alone ridden or even sat on a jet ski. Cleaned, redone seats (even replaced the straps with someone homemade ingenuity, wrapped and glued in plastic straps from box bundles in side folded seat vinyl). Between last May and now, Rebuilt carbs, replaced fuel lines, fuel selectors replaced, some DESS posts, some spare parts, added reverse back to one, and cleaned thoroughly with Mr clean sponges and cleaned out bilges.. On the trailer, replaced bow rollers, winches, lights tires and bearings(bow rollers and lights weren't installed yet in the pics). I think all told I probably put another $1000 into the whole thing to end up with 2 functioning 3 person jetskis with the trailer, and $225 of that was for a used MPEM I don't think I needed, and another $200 at least for tools and equipment I didn't have. If everything stays reliable through this season, I'll look at the cosmetic stuff for next year, paint trailer, fix gelcoat cracks and dings, buff and polish and fix decals. Thanks for everyones help, I'll probably post seperate posts going forward when issues arise. Enjoy some pics.

Attachments

• jetski1.jpg
    jetski1.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 19
  • jetski2.jpg
    jetski2.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 19
  • jetski3.jpg
    jetski3.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 19
  • jetski4.jpg
    jetski4.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 20
Update and question. Got the skis on the water this weekend, beautiful weather and calm water for lake erie. Great for riding. GTX continues to perform great. GTI Started up and took off at launch, bring it back to sure and wouldn't restart. Pop the seat and see the fuel line feeding the carb is spitting out fuel at straight fitting joint. Go home, get some tools and zip ties, remove the coupler and see it's cracked. No problem, I remove it from the line, and run the line directly to the carb. Ski runs now, starts right up on the water

What purpose does this coupler serve? Do I actually need it? Its part # 293710039. I don't really understand it's purpose.

After I got it running again, hook it up to a tow line to tow the kids, and I managed to suck up the tow rope in the intake, and can't get it untangled in the water. Got it untangled at home, so no biggie. Decided to pull the spark plugs on both skis to see how they look. They looked good on both skis, on both cylinders, Great! Take the skis out the next day, load up the family on both and take off, looking to do a longer trip then ever, ~10 miles round trip, want to take the kids to state park beach and get them ice cream at the concession stand. Get ~1/2 there and the GTI dies after a loud pop. I think Oh Crap! engine blown. pop off the seat in the water, and see it blew out 1 spark plug and the other is loose. It's then I realized, I DIDN'T REINSTALL THE SPARK PLUGS ALL THE WAY!!! Idiot. Hand tighten them both down, head back to launch, stopping periodically to hand tighten them down again. So help me god, I will get this damn GTI running longer than 30 min at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back