1996 GTI and 1995 GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: I'll be replacing the seat cover tonight. The seat didn't have the strap handle on it, what was the handle made of? Is it just folded over vinyl, or was it vinyl over plastic? I'd like to add it back on bt want it to be useable.

The strap was originally made of a flexible plastic the same color as the seat. Replacement seat covers usually come with a double sewn piece of cover material for the strap.

So I took the carb off of the GTI to rebuild it with the OSD parts kit. I got the internal screw set added on based on my experience rebuilding the carb in the GTX. Unfortunately the new screw that holds the bracket for the seat broke off as I was tightening it. How do I get this out? I'm pointing to the screw that is broken off in the hole, the broken head is next to it.
455.jpg

Well, hopefully you didn't cross thread it. Try using that pick to unthread it. I've gotten lucky before

Try the pic. But your best shot will be to take it to a machine shop. One that does engine work and have them remove it. If they have a tig welder which they should they can prob weld it out and won't damage the carb. Takes some skill. They'll also prob have the right tap to clean up the threads. Then you need to find a new screw. If you can't find a screw try McMaster Carr. It will be metric threads by the way.

I got lucky, I was able to get it out with the pick. Didn't damage the threads,, used the old screw so I'm in good shape

Day 2 on the gtx was another huge success. Living 5 min from a seldom used public boat ramp on lake Erie makes jetski ownership very fun and convenient. This time we used a towable, the kids loved it. Knocked the top speed down to around 30mph but did a good job. Can't wait to get the gti back and see if I can get that one running.
350.jpg

Be careful with towing... in NY we have to have 2 on the ski (driver/spotter) and one on the tube. If you are close to shore and not really near others, it's not really a safety issue, but a local LEO who wants to give you a hard time can hit you with a few tickets... including endangering the welfare of a minor. (Although if it's the first time you are stopped, i'd be shocked if they did that...)

And to not have this be a total downer post, great job and glad you are enjoying them! Have a great 4th of July!

Same rules here in OH. I'm taking a chance, but it's small. Where I let in, it's never patrolled. Someone could roll up on land but I've never seen it, and I've never seen any authorities in the water either. I don't make this kind of towing a habit though, just in case.

Same rules here in OH. I'm taking a chance, but it's small. Where I let in, it's never patrolled. Someone could roll up on land but I've never seen it, and I've never seen any authorities in the water either. I don't make this kind of towing a habit though, just in case.

I would totally make it a habit... get out there every chance you can and have fun! But it never hurts to know the rules even when you are breaking them. Worse case scenario you train your kids to jump in the water if the LEOs roll up, then say one fell off the back!

Where i am it's much more crowded at times, so having a spotter is nice... and the LEOs are like flies this summer so far (which is fine... i have the jet boat for towing 2 at a time.)

:)

I got the key programmed for the GTI. Borrow the compression gauge kit from O'Reilly Auto again. Compression is reading to 210 or higher, I stopped it because it wouldn't stop building up pressure. Both Pistons do the same thing. Do I have an exhaust blockage?

Nope it's a bad gauge. You won't get 210 out of a seadoo unless the cylinders are full of oil.

I hope so, but it's the same gauge I used to get the correct reading out of my other ski. I'll try another gauge from another auto parts store

I just drove it home in a crazy heavy rainstorm from where I got the key programmed. The seat was on but the carb is off and a spark plug was out of the engine. Do you think water could have gotten in the engine enough to raise the pressure that way in that situation. It did blow some water out of the exhaust when I tested one of the cylinders

Crank it with the plugs out and your thumb over the plug hole. If water or oil are in it it will pump it out.

Could only crank it by hand. oil bubbled up from the carb manifold but not much. Don't know why the start button won't crank it. The ski beeps twice when I put the key on but no action from the start button now Seems like this ski is going to be a bigger challenge.

So electrical problems maybe. When I had the guy program the.new Atlantis key, the behavior was such that the guy thought it might be an aftermarket mpem. Ski would time out when trying to program it, couldn't access some settings, or program it with my name, and biggest clue of all, it said the ski , a 96, only had 69 hours on it. He got the key programmed, but suggested I might have so.e time out issues, I'm wondering if that's why it won't turn over when I try and start it. My other thoughts is it could be the post (doesn't always beep when I put the key on) or bad start button.
Any ideas on where to start or whet to check here?

Pics, let me know if there's any other angles or things I should take a pic of to give a better idea of what's going on
36.jpg
37.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back