1996 GTI and 1995 GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are you at with the two ski's? Got them running or still having problems? We are here to answer questions.

I've only worked on the one I posted pics of. Hoping when I fix the neck in the fuel tank, it will pressurize and start feeding fuel to the engine. If it starts, I'll take it to the water and see if it starts there. Once it runs I'll look at the aesthetics of it. The 96 GTI, I still have to remove the MPEM and send it to Minnotonka so I can get a DESS key programmed, then I'll work on that one. I started the repair with the epoxy, but it hardened in the container way faster than expected, so I have to wait until Friday for the reorder to come in.

In the meantime, I looked at the cone and jet oil situation. When I got the ski, the venturi and steering attachment was already removed, (and the bolts to attach are missing, anyone know the size of them?)There was very little oil in the system, but the oil that was there was dark, not milky or white, so that's good from what I read. The impeller and wear ring look in good shape. I'll pick up jet pump oil today and reassemble that. Then once I get the fuel system figured out, we'll see if it runs, hopefully this weekend, cuz the wife and kids are getting antsy and want to know if this experiment will work.

I would just buy Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear oil for the pump. Works just as good as oe and will be a lot cheaper.

Thanks, both ski's have this. The one battery I have I got from oreilly and it isn't sealed, so this will be useful until I get a sealed battery.

So I swapped the gas tanks in the skis. The other skis gas tank hasn't been replaced on the recall yet, but it looks in good shape. I can put the defective tank in the gti and get a free replacement.

With a good tank I was able to get the ski to start. It starts immediately now and the throttle responds nicely. Problem now is the back end is spitting out a lot of oil. I had refilled the jet pump oil before getting it started. Haven't researched the problem yet, but wanted to post to get ideas.

Not completely sure yet. I was alone, and it was dark. The venturi is off. I think it's coming from exhaust, there is no oil from the cone or inside by the impeller, but it is oily in the exhaust outlet, and the oil is being spit out, cuz there are droplets splash all around the impeller housing. I'm going to check it tonight with a second person so I can get a better look while they start the ski. The first couple times it ran it blew out A LOT of smoke the last couple of times the smoking was less pronounced. I didn't have it hooked to the hose, so I didn't leave it running, and only started it ~3 times for ~5 seconds each, with time in between to cool down.

Also, I'm still concerned about the cylinder compression. They both read exactly identical, but at 90 psi. I haven't used a different gauge yet, though.

Also, I'm still concerned about the cylinder compression. They both read exactly identical, but at 90 psi. I haven't used a different gauge yet, though.

You know you can "rent" a compression tester from most chain auto parts store for free or a nominal cost?

-E

I tested 3 skis with the harbor frieght tester. All said either 90 to 110. Got a good tester and all skis have 140 plus compression test. **** that harbor frieght tester

Success, borrowed a compression tester from O'Reilly Auto Parts, 150 in both cylinders. Now I just need to figure out this oil leak issue and I'll stick it in the water and worry about the ascetics next.

Oil is definitely coming from the exhaust
272.jpg

Hooked the hose up to let it run a little longer than 5 sec. Didn't have a good hose clamp. I took video, so you can hear the impeller. There's some clanging sound that doesn't seem right. What's the best way to post video here?

Question, if I don't have the return hose clamped when I run the hose (it drains into the grass, is there less danger of getting water in the engine where it doesn't belong?

The rattling is normal. It's the impeller shaft against the cone under no load. Actually sounds pretty good.

Remember engine on, then water on, then water off, then engine off. Water only on with engine running. Don't run long if you have carbon seal in drive train.

That's good news on the rattle, not only have I never ridden a check ski, I've never heard an engine on one, so I wasn't sure. Is that the amount of smoke you would expect?

On the oil in the exhaust, is it possible that there was crud/oil sitting in the exhaust from the years it was sitting that got washed out when I hooked it up to the hose? After running it a little while the water coming out started to run clear.

If not, does anyone have any ideas on what to look at? I've tried searching for oil in exhaust on the forums with no luck.

If it has been sitting it likely just blew out some oil from the motor. I would not worry about it. These always have some oil around the exhaust area (they do burn oil so it is there in the system). And they are two strokes, so they will always smoke. But they should not create a cloud while you are riding once they are warmed up. Just ride the beast and have a great time! BTW, I restored 2 skis before I had ever sat on one. It is a great feeling when you get to ride it for the first time. I was way more nervous launching then riding. Just hit a nice quiet ramp when no one is around and take your time.

Atlantis are fine. At least they have been for me. If you have a MPEM rekeyed by Minnetonka, get a couple done so you have a spare. And even better, send him both your MPEMs and he can set up all keys for both skis. So won't have to worry about what key for each ski. Does the 95 use the DESS system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back