1996 challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

doodman

Hi,

I picked up a 1996 challenger(trailer included) with a blown motor for $1200, knowing that I will need to get a motor for it, has a sea doo cover and the bimimi top.
Besides a ripped seat cover the boat looks great, did I get taken?
I plan on buying a motor from sbt or someplace similar, (I see a reman goes for $800-1200), and changing it myself.The cylinder jugs are cracked and the crank is toast, so I can't get a core return. I have a manual, and have a lot of experience changing automobile motors and transmissions, can someone answer these questions?:

1. Was $1200 for the boat, cover, top and trailer a o.k. deal?
2. Are sbt motors good?
3. How hard is it to change the motor?
4. Do I need to remove the jet pump assembly?
5. Should I get the oil injection block off kit and pre-mix?
6. How fast does the single motor challenger go?
7. Are these boats reliable once sorted out?

I bought this boat knowing it needed alot of time and money and don't even plan on getting a motor until next spring, just get a feeling sometimes I am in over my head.
Hopefully this will be a lot of fun for my wife and kids, and will be worth the time and money once it is straightened out.
Thanks in advance, all suggestions are welcome.

1. its alright
2. yes/no....with an unexceptable core, your gonna pay twice that for a motor from them
3. easy
4. no
5. your choice
6. low/mid 40's
7. yup

Thank you so much for the response.
Does anyone have any suggestions for short block motors?
How do I yank the motor without removing the jet pump?
Thanks again.

You will want to pull the pump and inspect/repair as needed, in almost any motor work the pump comes out first, you will find whole 787 motors in winter months, now the demand is high so wait it out the way you planned, does it crank at all so you can see a spark from the mpem - or is it toasted from jump starting?
Read a lot here and learn before you leap.

plenty of room, to slide motor forward, so no need to pull pump.

Ebay your best bet, for atleast a good set of cases and cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back