1993 GTX doesn't want to play....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordynk

Hello,

This is my first post in these forums!

I have a 1993 GTX that has decided not to start this last weekend, which left us using the 94 GTX so not all was lost but still disappointing.

I do not know these engines well enough to start pulling things off and troubleshooting, although I am going to study and work on becoming more knowledgeable about the inner working of these engines this summer.

The 93 GTX worked fine the weekend before, but this last weekend I got it in the water and it would not start. It turns over, but will not start. Battery was on trickle charger for about 6 hours prior to launching. I tried for several cranks (maybe 5 minutes off and on) before I could hear battery starting to drain so called it a day and put it back on the trailer. So my idea is to work backwards and replace the battery and then maybe try replacing the spark plugs? Is this a good plan? If so what battery do you recommend? Plugs? Good place to buy them? Also one final question if I may, how can I trouble shoot out of the water once I get new battery installed, is it OK to dry-fire it just to see if battery was the issue?

Sorry for being so wordy, and I thank you for any help...

Gordy

You need 4 things for the motor to run: spark, compression, fuel, and air.

1. Charge your battery first before you replace it.
2. Make sure you have fuel in the tank.
3. Check your compression with an appropriate gauge. If you don't have a gauge (go get one) or put your thumb over one sparkplug hole and make sure it can at least push your thumb off when you crank it. Test both holes separately.
4. check the plugs for spark
5. Check for fuel.

New sparkplugs are always a good idea on a 2-stroke. I like to do new ones every year.
You should be able to run it a few seconds out of the water. Anything longer I would follow proper procedures with a flush line.

bush pretty much summed it up. Make sure you're getting fuel and spark. You can buy an inline spark tester at most auto parts stores. They work well. If you have both of those then do a compression check. I had a similar issue with my 96 GTX and didn't figure out what was wrong until I did a compression check. Found the PTO (or back) cylinder not building compression. It's worth it to go buy a gauge for this if you plan on staying in the jet ski world IMO.

Thank you Bush and spx787......I do not have a compression gauge but can go get one. What do I look for when testing for compression? Apologize for being a noob, but just trying to learn as I go.
1. I will charge the battery tonight
2. The fuel tank is full
3. I will do the economical compression test (thumb) until I get a gauge...
4. Will test with inline spark tester as well...

Let you know...and thank you both again!

Gordy

Hey SPX and Bush....Update:

Still turns over but will not start....

1. Battery was charged all night and then used this afternoon to test ( although i did notice that the battery is from 2009!?)
2. Fuel Tank was/is full
3. Did compression test...results were 125 on front and 145 on rear
4. Tested both plugs with inline tester and both lit the lamp and were getting spark

Not sure what to do next.....attaching picture of top for what its worth as I wrote compression numbers next to each one. 93GTX.JPG

Gordy

The difference in the cylinders is pushing it a bit.

Put a meter on the battery and then crank the engine, what do the volts get down to while it is cranking the engine.

You do want compression to be the same... If suggest doing the rings as a minimum and maybe even pistons too. In the skidoo world I'd never dream of doing just rings but with a PWC it seems more common. You want compression within 10 psi but 10% is about max or it puts stress on the crank.

Did you turn the fuel on?
Next step is to pull a fuel line and make sure it's pushing fuel.

Put the plug wires on the ground plugs and put the return line in a bottle and turn over the motor.

Or mix some fuel and oil @ 40:1 and pour about a Tbsp into each carb (plugs in, wires on) and see if it starts.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back