1991 GT - can't remove tuned pipe

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

masterjam

I have a 1991 GT with the yellow 587 motor. I can't get it to turn over, even with a new fully-charged battery.
I tested solenoid and start switch:
  • Start switch (0.7 Ω when pressed)
  • Solenoid - closes when start switch activated (1.7 Ω across secondary terminals with solenoid closed)
Since there's nothing else in the starter circuit, I picked up a used OEM starter and that's where I ran into trouble. I'm trying to remove the pipe from the exhaust manifold to expose the starter beneath it. What a pain. The 6 bolts holding the pipe to the manifold were ok with the right tools, but darned if I can maneuver the pipe to remove it. The strap holding the pipe to the manifold was a pain by itself, but even with that out of the way now, I can't get the pipe out, either to the front or the rear. I pretty much hosed the gasket between pipe and top of the manifold and scratched the pipe up pretty badly as well.

I'm beginning to think I might need to unbolt the exhaust manifold, although the manual I have seems to say that I should be able to get the pipe out without removing other stuff. I read something somewhere that suggested possibly having to loosen engine mounts, but I'm wondering if that could cause alignment problems.

I'm new to this and appreciate any insights. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back