03 supercharged 3 seater nothing when pushing start button

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

boaterok

Hello I put a new battery in and it cranked for about 3 seconds and then nothing. Not a thing when pushing start button now. IF you think it is fuse related where are they located. The chirp goes off and I now have a check engine warning scroll across the dash.

Does it have a Mode button on the handlebar? If so push it 5 times in a row (while the check engine warning is scrolling across the dash)to get it to display the error code.

I believe your owner's manual will show you exactly where the fuses are, but in general they're near the battery on the left side of the hull with pop-off rubber covers over them.

- Michael

Does it have a Mode button on the handlebar? If so push it 5 times in a row (while the check engine warning is scrolling across the dash)to get it to display the error code.

I believe your owner's manual will show you exactly where the fuses are, but in general they're near the battery on the left side of the hull with pop-off rubber covers over them.

- Michael

I found the fuses and the third one down on the front row was blown and it was 10 amp I replaced it with a 15 amp for a while and got the engine to turn over constantly. But I don't believe I am getting any fuel pump but I don't have any other blown fuses. Shouldn't I be able to hear the pump run? I tried the mode button 5 times then the set button but didn't get any codes. Thanks for the help

I found the fuses and the third one down on the front row was blown and it was 10 amp I replaced it with a 15 amp for a while and got the engine to turn over constantly. But I don't believe I am getting any fuel pump but I don't have any other blown fuses. Shouldn't I be able to hear the pump run? I tried the mode button 5 times then the set button but didn't get any codes. Thanks for the help

yes as soon as you attached the lanyard you should be able to hear the fuel pump kick on for about 3 seconds I believe (assuming they didn't change the MPEM layout from 03 to 04) the fuse that was blown was for the fuel pump/starter. That being said I must caution you about putting in a higher amp fuse then what it's suppose to have. Am guilty of doing it myself from time to time but there is a ton of electronics in these things and they can be very tempermental in our haste to see if it works we can end up causing more problems.

I would recommend disconnecting the connection at the fuel pump and see if you have power going to it at least to the connection and check for corrision why you have them apart and let us know if you have power to the connection.

yes as soon as you attached the lanyard you should be able to hear the fuel pump kick on for about 3 seconds I believe (assuming they didn't change the MPEM layout from 03 to 04) the fuse that was blown was for the fuel pump/starter. That being said I must caution you about putting in a higher amp fuse then what it's suppose to have. Am guilty of doing it myself from time to time but there is a ton of electronics in these things and they can be very tempermental in our haste to see if it works we can end up causing more problems.

I would recommend disconnecting the connection at the fuel pump and see if you have power going to it at least to the connection and check for corrision why you have them apart and let us know if you have power to the connection.

Yep I'm aware of the bigger fuse syndrone. I haven't pulled the plug going to the top of the fuel pump yet but I suppose its going to be multiwire since I am sure it reads the fuel level from here also. After I figure out which wires are hot and which are grounds do you see any problem with putting 12v straight to the pump? I just can't believe these pumps go bad with just sitting (6 years). I have looked on the internet and found the part number for the fuel pump assembly 270600087 so does anyone know where you can buy them the cheapest for the assembly or can you just buy a pump from somebody else other than Seadoo? I really hate to spend the $6-700 for a pump assembly. Especially since I have two of these watercraft having the same problem. Oh I am going to the lake tomorrow so it will be 10-12 days before I am back and can look into it so feel free to fire in the suggestions. Thanks

Yep I'm aware of the bigger fuse syndrone. I haven't pulled the plug going to the top of the fuel pump yet but I suppose its going to be multiwire since I am sure it reads the fuel level from here also. After I figure out which wires are hot and which are grounds do you see any problem with putting 12v straight to the pump? I just can't believe these pumps go bad with just sitting (6 years). I have looked on the internet and found the part number for the fuel pump assembly 270600087 so does anyone know where you can buy them the cheapest for the assembly or can you just buy a pump from somebody else other than Seadoo? I really hate to spend the $6-700 for a pump assembly. Especially since I have two of these watercraft having the same problem. Oh I am going to the lake tomorrow so it will be 10-12 days before I am back and can look into it so feel free to fire in the suggestions. Thanks

yes it should be a 4 wire plug I believe. will try attaching a photo from the shop manual but it's for a 04 (i don't think they changed much from 03 to 04) but just a heads up if things aren't the same. I will let others chime in on connecting fuel pump with 12V but i don't think it would hurt it as long as you know what ones are hot and what are grounds (according to manual should be purple with pink stripe as hot to pump with brown with pink stripe being ground for pump the pink and pink with black should be for fuel level sensor) again this is from 04 shop manual double check in case they changed something (doubt it but don't want to be responsible if you fry your pump and it wasn't the problem).
Just out of curiousity did you check to make sure your getting spark to the spark plugs.

fuel pump pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No I didn't check for spark, but I can when I get back. I was basically thinking fuel pump since its been so long since its ran. BUT when your listening for the pump you have a the cr p buzzers and stuff going off so it might be hard to hear but I wouldn't think so. Does anyone have an outlet for a good deal on a pump if that turns out to be what it is? thanks

Wait! Am I understanding correctly that this watercraft has been sitting for *6 years* with fuel in the tank and you tried to start it with that ancient fuel? If so that fuel has likely turned to crap and the fuel cell needs to be completely removed and cleaned out as well as the fuel lines cleaned out now. Also the spark plugs surely need changing, as does the engine oil and filter and coolant... I think this is entirely neglect related now! You can't leave one sitting like that for so long and expect it to actually run.

If it wasn't prepped for long-term storage, then no wonder the thing isn't running now.

- Michael

Agree with Michael. Drain all fuel and replace any fuel related hoses or filters. Spark plugs should be changed once a year anyway, so that should be done for sure too. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back