02 Speedster oil pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott7808

I just recently bought a 2003 Seadoo Speedster with a 02 Mercury 240HP M2 jet drive motor. I was just wondering after reading a few reviews if this Model year has that "plastic gear" everyone is talking about replacing. If so, where can I purchase this gear? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Probably not... but post your engine serial number.

But... the quick and dirty way to tell is.....

1) what's the shape of the top engine cover? (round or more rectangle-ish)

2) Does it have a belt, with a separate alternator?

Serial number OE397339....Top engine cover that's fiberglass? Rectangle-ish. No belts/alternator. Has 2 voltage regulators. Thanks

Not the deck lid... the engine cover. It's the plastic part that covers the flywheel.

But... from your S/N... you have a 2001 engine. SO... it has the old style oil pump. (with the gear that can fail)

I'm surprised. I didn't think that I would see a 2003 with the older engine. It's common on the 2002.

How do I find that particular gear online before taking things apart? Can it be replaced with a steel gear? Is it easier to replace the whole pump instead rather than a rebuild? AND....the engine cover above flywheel is round. Thanks again

The gear that fails is around the crankshaft. SO... unless you are going to pull the engine out, and split it... it's not easy to change.

Mercury only made the drive gear out of plastic... so a metal gear doesn't exist. But, the new gear is better than the old gear.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the pump... but the pump itself doesn't fail. It's the drive gear.

So you gotta pull the whole engine out just to replace a small plastic gear? Think I'll take my chances instead, run it for a couple of years and sell it considering it already has 150 hours when I bought it. Thanks again for your time!

150 hours is low. But... it's up to you. A lot of guys will pull the pump, and just mix the fuel to be safe.

Hello together. A few days ago, after reading some posts about the oil gear failures, i decided to pull out the engine of my `01 speedster.
The idea of DrHonda to take an endoscope and look into the oil drive was great. You can see exactly if the oil gear is worn. You can also take a little flashlight to look inside. My oli gear Looks like a new one and i´m more relaxed now. It took 2,5 hours to pull the engine and it is not so easy as it is shown in the service manual. Because there is not enough space to turn the engine without disassembling the exhaust.
Maybe it´s only in the speedster. Greetings from Germany and please apologize my english ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back