01 Rx just clicks

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rckstr

We had the jetski out today and it was running just fine until one of the kids sucked up a tube rope. After we got it out, we took off on it and it ran perfect. When I started it, the battery didn't sound very charged. After we started it a couple more times, it quit turning over and now just clicks when you hit the starter. I hope its just a low/bad battery Anybody have any experience with this?

It sounds like a weak battery to me. It could also be a loose or corroded connection.

Lou

Charge the battery so you can get it started and see what the volts are at the battery when it is running.

I agree it sounds like a weak battery, but lets determine if you have a charge issue or a junk battery.

Very new owner but just had a similar issue with one of my GTXs that turn out to be a bad starter solenoid. Just some thing to keep in mind if the battery checks out. Mine would click just once every time I hit the start button, not a bunch of clicks if that help. Guys here on the forum helped me figure it out so I wanted to pass it along too.

You can confirm solenoid by jumping it. If it still won't crank you are back to a weak battery issue. So then charge, check volts. Ect ect.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea mine just clicks once when you hit the start button. I have the battery out, and Im going to have it checked out tomorrow. Looks pretty old, may have to replace the battery. Any suggestions on a battery if I have to buy one?

Not yet, Im at work now. I will go home this evening and install the battery. Do you have a pic of what solenoid I should jump?

Follow the hot wire from the battery. It will go to the starter solenoid. On the other side another red wire runs down to the starter.

You want to jump the two terminals on the solenoid where the red wires are bolted.

This will help us help you. .

to remove sucked up ropes on a 2 stroke;

remove the spark plugs

unwind rope, spinning the engine backwards.

2 stroke doesn't care, and will spin freely either way.

Thanks for the rope removal trick. we got it out but it took about 45 min. Seems your way is a lot quicker.

Just had another thought. Could the power wire going to the starter be loose and not be getting a good enough connection?

Just had another thought. Could the power wire going to the starter be loose and not be getting a good enough connection?

Absolutely. This is part if why I suggest jumping the solenoid. If it cranks it will confirm that you have a good battery, good connections and a good starter. If it doesn't then we have a clue as to where to look.

Ok guys, heres the deal. Battery is hot, showing 225 CA. Installed the battery and she still just clicks. So I took the cover off the starter solenoid so I can try to jump the solenoid. When I arc the two terminals, nothing happened. But what confuses me, they didnt even spark or act like they had any juice on them. The one cable comes straight from the battery thru the master switch. So I am pretty sure there is fire to the solenoid. Im stumped once again.

Ok guys, heres the deal. Battery is hot, showing 225 CA. Installed the battery and she still just clicks. So I took the cover off the starter solenoid so I can try to jump the solenoid. When I arc the two terminals, nothing happened. But what confuses me, they didnt even spark or act like they had any juice on them. The one cable comes straight from the battery thru the master switch. So I am pretty sure there is fire to the solenoid. Im stumped once again.

Grab a meter. Ground one lead to the engine and the other to where the red wire is on the solenoid (coming from the battery).

You should have 12 volts. If not, then you lost the ground.

Then move the hot lead to the other large wire on the solenoid. It should read zero volts until you press the start switch. Once pressed it should jump to 12 volts.

I wild also test the voltage of the battery while the start switch is being pressed.

Let us know the results....

Can you turn the motor by hand with the plugs removed? Maybe you have more rope in there or you just roasted the starter trying to start it while it was bound... Id try another battery also

Havent tried to take out the plugs and turn the motor. But I know all the rope came out because it didnt cut the rope and the rope was still intact once we unwound it.

Took plugs out, shaft turns just fine.

How do I start to take the starter out? Im assuming the exhaust manifold must come off...then whats next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back